Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need upgraded running gear advice.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ellero, Jul 29, 2006.

1. ellero

ellero Registered Member

Ok, so every time I take her out sahe comes home on a flatbed. Thanks again to the AAA driver that knows me by name. Anyway, I have a few problems that I hope to get good advice on.

First, I keep snapping the front U-joint on the rear axle and cant run in FWD due to the rear yolk sliding out and it losing fluid. How do I fix this or can I?

Second, with the 4 inch suspension lift, the fron driveline flexs under load due to it being too short. This I know needs to be replaced.

Third, most all of the front diff oil has poured out the sides of the front axle. Did I break it, or are the seals just gone? How hard is that job?

Fourth, Also on the last trip there was a loud snap and all the tranny fluid was lost. Turns out that the x-fer case is still attached to the tranny, but the tranny housing tore and I have a 1/4 gap about 3/4 around the tranny so the tranny case is done for sure. Needing a new tranny is a given here.

Now I think this is a sign saying sell the truck or upgrade to 1 ton running gear. This is where I am looking for help. I am on a bit of a budget but I am tired on not being able to drive my rig home. If I do the 1 ton swap, what am I in for as I am not a mechanic.

Does anyone know if the 1 ton x-fer case has the yolk on it or if it is in the rear driveline on the 1 tons. If it is on the driveline that solves problem # 1. If it does not, how do I fix problem # 1? Also is it a direct bolt on to the 84 K5 blazer?

What transmission should I look into getting, and why would the outer casing tear in the first place? Is there a special trans / x-fer case combination that I should get because my x-fer case works, but it always slips out of 4H under load? Could it be ok, and just be a linkage issue? My 5.7 L is not modified at all but a more powerfull motor may be in the plans in a year or 2. I would like to have something stronger now so when I do the moter in the future, thats all I will need.

Getting 1 ton axles are a givin as my K5 does see a bit of air from time to time. My hopes are that if I get 1 ton axles, drivelines, transmission and x-fer case that it all bolts together easy and is then bulletproof. It is a lot of $$$, so can I do it in stages or am I hosed. My rig has been down since new years and it sucks. Please help.

John

2. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

What is your current trans t-case? 700/208? What tire size?
    The one ton stuff seems like a good idea for you. It sounds like you like to beat the crap out of your junk. Consider a 4 speed set up? Its a good idea to not treat a Blazer like its a dirt bike, air time isnt kind no matter what you have under it.

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

1. A FF or a SF 14 bolt will fix that.
    2. Re tube
    3. Prob needs new seals
    4. new trans

1 ton transmission is a TH400 for the auto and an SM465 for the 4-speed. NP205 is a 1 ton TC. Some 205's came with fixed yoke (early pre 80), all 1980 came with a 205 not sure if they all had slip but I know the 1/2 tons did.

It looks like you are running 35's, put a SF 14 bolt in new trans and quit jumping it;) .

4. ellero

ellero Registered Member

I just picked up a used transmission / t-case out of a 78 blazer. Not sure what it is just yet, but the TC is much much larger than the original 84, and the 78 set up is a fixed yoke. If its huge and heavy as hell is it a good bet its a 205? Where would I find the model number on it?

John

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If it came out of a 78 blazer then its a 203. Huge and heavy as hell are words to describe the 203. There should be a round metal piece on the back of the tranny near where the driveshaft bolts up that identifies the t-case. My bet is that its a 203. Its a cast iron t-case and weighs like 250 lbs.:eek1: Its a standard (old) half ton t-case but is a hoss. I have seen a guy around here with no skid plate, use the 203 as a skid. In the battle it faced with a large rock, the 203 won....
    -Harrison

6. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Also, I suspect your lift in the rear is from blocks. I would suspect that is why you broke your driveshaft u-joint. I would ditch the blocks and get real springs as well. On a seperate note, if you are going through all the trouble of swapping in a new transmission and transfer case, I wouldn't bother putting a 203 in. Find a 205 and/or a transmission with a 205 behind it and go with that.

7. ellero

ellero Registered Member

I dont have much $$$ to put into it so I am just doing what I can to get it back on the road. I would so much rather take the time and build it super strong, but I hit a financial rock and just need the truck to run for the time being. Also the lift has no blocks. I went with all 4 new springs. I think its due to running 35s at 8 lbs without having the gears done yet, but thats just a guess.

John

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Go for the 205 t-case. That's a given. If you can't find one with a fixed rear output, you can get the fixed yoke parts off e-bay for around $100.

You can save some money (at least $1000) by going with 3/4-ton axles instead of 1-ton. You'll have the same strength in the rear but the front will still be a 10-bolt (or D44), just with 8-lug hubs and bigger brakes. I wouldn't go any lower (numerically) than a 4.10 with 35s.

Front axles seals are a pain in the ass. The differential case has to come out to get to the seals.