Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEED URGENT OPINIONS..motor related

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Jul 14, 2003.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Here's the story. My friend wanted to hear my new exhaust so I reved it a lil, not anything crazy and I hear a knocking in the motor and a cloud of blue smoke puffs out the pipe. Then we go in and I come back out to leave several hours later and it's hard to start and is knocking really bad. I let it idle for a little bit and then decide to shut it off. There was more blue smoke, don't know how much because is was dark. Then I start it again and decide to drive it a bit. The knocking goes away and no more smoke. I drive it home at a reasonable speed and no knocking or smoke. After I get home, I rev it a little in the driveway to see if it will knock and it doesn't. However, it smells like burnt oil throughout this whole time. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of the block, but its hard to tell. Is this a rod fixing to be thrown or something else? This is my daily so I need to figure out if I need to swap another motor in before school starts in a month?

What does it sound like to you guys? It is a stock 350 TBI with 112,000 miles on it. Should I just drive it and see what it acts like? I don't know if that's a good idea seeing I drive 60 miles a day to work, all on the highway.

If it is something internal, I'm probably just looking at a complete rebuild?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

sounds like your rod bearings have had it, that is the knocking I'm not sure about the smoke that is what it sounds like to me

befor you go with a complete rebuild look around My buddy found a BUILT sm for 400 bucks that a guy ran for a little
    bit but it was still in great shape and will rap to 7 grand no prob.

3. biggee4x4

biggee4x4 Newbie

hey i bet it was one of your valves sticking a little bit and that is where your oil comes from and the knock was probly your miss or your valve tapping on you piston

4. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So I started the truck this morning and it didn't knock or anything unusual. I took it for a drive after work and it is like nothin happened. I put some oil additive stuff to help it stop puffing smoke on startup the last time a changed my oil. I think some of that disloged something in the motor causing a push rod or lifter to stick making the motor knock.