Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need V.I.N help Making 2 k5's one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy88, Sep 3, 2006.

1. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I need some help with V.I.N locations. I am parting a 90 blazer for my 88 Jimmy or Vice-verca (still debating). I need to know what parts with the V.I.N needs to be transferred to keep on V.I.N. I know I will be using the frame from one and the cab from another. I know the obvious locations but do not want to miss one and get hassled about it later for some reason. I know of the dash, the door Jam, The glove box, And I thought the radiator support had it also. The truck will not see the road other than from a trailer but I want to do it legally (preferabally without taking it to DMV for inspection). I dont forsee it passing an inspection. I am not so worried about the door and glove box VIN since the are items that get swapped all the time. My main concern is the dash vin and the frame? Any help would be great. Thanks

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think NC is one of the more pickier states for this stuff, but the frame is servicable as a replacement item. I would persue the body VIN, if you have the title to that, other items should be serviceable parts. Give them a call to be sure though.

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have delt with this a few times,

thing such as the doors on 78 or so blazers had a id sticker with the vin, when you register an out of state they will check for it, also the frame, and the usual vin on the winshild area.

in az, if the door has been changes, or the frame it requires a level 3 inspection, basicly they will back round check all the vins you have, if one comes up as stolen your in for it... if you have both titles you will be fine. IF you are worried go there first and tell them your intentions, in az I was able to talk to an inspector.

also.. in az when constructing a couple cars into one, they can or will issue you a new state id tag, or a state issues vin, similar to reconstructed, or home made cars. this way they issue you a new title and delete the others.

hwy patrol here can be anal, and I had one check my frame and truck id one since I had removed the actual vin on my 75, on my year they are on by the door striker...this flagged his attention and if he wanted he could have had my truck inpounded.

just make sure you do it right :)

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

where on the frame is the vin?

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

behind the drivers side cab mount, under your feet if I remember right

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Lots of rules up here too on 'reconstructed' vehicles - going so far as to require a new MVB-issued VIN.

IME, real-world VIN checks are limited to the easy-to-find tag. Usually the dash, door jamb, etc.

The only times I've heard of the authorities looking further has been an impound situation, where they are scouring the vehicle for a specific VIN of a stolen vehicle that they suspect to have been chopped for parts. In other words... they don't care what clusterfork of parts your truck is made from unless it has the VIN they are looking for. ;)

7. Jefferson-Mo

Jefferson-Mo 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna do kinda the same thing..........'73 or '74 body on a '80 frame.....

Here in California the only time there's a VIN inspection is when reconstructing a Salvage or registering in Cali from another state.

And even then it's done by a 'VIN verifier' which doesn't even have to be someone at the DMV just someone licensed by the DMV for this. I work at a car dealer so there's at least 2 people that work here to do it for me. If we're pals it's even easier. And they never check the frame VIN(too many different vehicles and too many locations to know)

My back-up plan is to weld some 'reinforcement plates' strategically so the VIN's obliterated(on the frame only) the dash VIN stays intact and has to match the title.

Now this 80's not stolen and I have the title but the body's wrecked(chassis is perfect) and it won't pass smog as an 80....................

ssoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................

As long as there's no reason for an inspection no one will ever know............

you guys can keep a secret right?

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'd probably call the NC DMV and ask them, since you'll have to get in touch with them eventually, right?