Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need Welder advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

After much deliberation, I am still.. well.. deliberating.

Give me some pro's cons and what you would get with a budget of 2k, and where you would order from online.

Miller or Lincoln (or hobart??)

Im so indecesive, Im thinking a multi function might be good!

People now are telling me for the price range I should get TIG instead of MIG. I was orginally just going to go get thet passport, but I feel like I'd use the portability very little nowadays...

Does anyone know if the passport can take the 3035 spoolgun? it doesnt look like it.

In the Mig range Im looking at:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]MILLERMATIC 210 WITH 3035 SPOOLGUN [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]$1,938.50[​IMG](http://store.cyberweld.com/mil210witspo.html)
    Lincolin
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Power MIG 215 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1363.25

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]

In the TIG:
    [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Miller Syncrowave 250 DX TIG Welder [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Price: $2,356.75 (over price range)
    [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Miller Maxstar 200 DX DC TIG Welder [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Price: $2,031.75
    Lincoln
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Precision TIG 185 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1722.78.00

I dont necesarily have to include the budget for gas or supplies in this amount, but it would be nice.

Help Welding guru's ! :bow:
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

2. broke73

broke73 1/2 ton status

I would go to your local supplier, tell them what you want to be able to accomplish with your welder and have them give you some options. You'll end up using them for gas anyhow and you might as well buy what they have parts for and are used to. Just make sure you don't tell them exactly what you plan to spend!!!;)

3. MetalMelter

MetalMelter 1/2 ton status

Both the Millermatic 210 and the Lincon Power Mig 215 are great machines.
    I would go up to the Millermatic 251 Or Power Mig 255C, Both digital Control
    (for production work - EZ set up) Spool gun ready, and will not over heat,
    unless ran Very hard. All boils down to what your doing with the machines.
    Mig/Tig, only you know your application,Speed -looks-strength-production.
    All alloy, Go TIG.
    Part time alloy, go MIG/spoll gun.
    If your not making your living with your welders, the 210 or the 215 will work
    great for a long long time.
    Beware of accessories cost on the Maxstar 200 DX. :D

4. muddindirty

muddindirty Registered Member

X2 on the Millermatic 251. I bought one for $1600 brand spankin new from the wleding supply store with the 30 series aluminum spoolgun. Great machine, the only thing I need now is a Tig machine! And if you are welding alot and using alot of gas BUY YOUR BOTTLES, saves in the long run around here.

5. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

Your post doesn't say what you want to do with the welder. Are you an experienced welder? Have you used MIG or TIG before. I am not trying to be an ass, but one is better for some jobs, the other is better for others. Need to know more about your skills and the work your trying to accomplish.

With that said, I have both a Miller 210 MIG and the Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG. I also have the Spectrum 625 plasma. I just sold my Lincoln 3200 HD (110V machine). If you are trying to do steel primarily, forget the TIG. TIG is awesome at steel, but MIG is better for out of position work, tacking things up, etc. MIG is also much easier to learn. If you want to fab aluminum parts, TIG all the way. I would vote to skip the spoolgun, at least to start (I have one on my 210 and have only tried it occasionally, but don't really trust the alum welds with it as aluminum is known to form crater cracks from spoolguns). At this point pick the machine that best matches your desires.

I like both Miller and Lincoln. I bought the MIG, TIG and Plasma from Cyberweld online. I also bought both my auto helmets from them (Jackson Nexgen and Miller Big Window Elite). BTW, the Miller BWE is awesome. I can whole heartidly recommend Cyberweld. B&R is good too.

Remember, the tank and gas is costly as well, as is a good welding helmet, gloves, wire...

Good luck on your choice.
    Joshua

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally am a big Miller fan. I own a Miller 135 and love it. At work I have a Miller 175 that is great also. I have used an older Miller 250 and big miller stick welder in my welding classes I took and both machines were very nice.

If you are willing to spend 2k then get what I consider to be the top of the line from what you talked about. Hobart is owned by miller and is now millers underbrand. Lincoln has good stuff to but I really like my miller.

I personally would go with a Miller 251 like mentioned above if you are going to do alot of welding and don't need your welder to be easily portable. If you want a good welder that isn't to heavy to pick up and put in the truck and take places the MIller 175 is a good welder for that.

Harley

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Your not being an ass at all. :wink1: I really am not by any definition an experienced welder. heck, I have only some experience with stick welding.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that For any aluminum work, I will be using TIG. for most everything else mig. My buddy was suggesting that I spend around 1500 for a tig, and spend the remaining on a cheap mig. the lincoln 175 looks like a good bet...

8. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

i have the 210 with the spool gun. it will weld anything i would need on my truck from sheetmetal to plate. if you're not planning on welding a lot of alloy the 210 would probably be your best bet.

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have the Miller 175 as well and love it.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im gonna hold off on the spool gun, I can get it off EBAY pretty cheap- . I didnt realize that the "accessories" were going to be so expensive. Namely the clamps, helmet, and the fact that I consulted someone who welds for a living.

He stated that the 210 is gonna do everything that I pretty much need- and that I should get real good at steel before going to aluminum. He then stated that If my budget is 2k, I still need to get something to cut steel- so I am getting a oxy aceteline setup.

11. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the accessories can be very expensive, especially for TIG! As for cutting steel, you should decide what you want to do first and go from there. If you plan to make everything from retangular tubing, a band saw or chop saw would be good. For plate, an O/A torch or plasma. For sheet metal, a nibbler, grinder with cutoff wheel, or even just hand snips. There are just so many different applications. You wouldn't want to have to use a torch to cut tubing to length, and likewise a grinder with cutoff wheel would such to have to cut 1/2" steel plate any distance...

Considering you other responses, it sounds like either the 175 or 210 classes would be good. I would recommend 210 as it is great with heavier structural welds. It also takes a spoolgun without an adapter. Finally, it rolls around with a bottle on the back, which I find veru convienent for working in the driveway on my Burb.

Finally, remember that both the 175 and 210 require 220V power. This can be a little expensive as well to hook-up if you don't have it already. So can a good quality SO extension cord. I say start with the 210, by the time you buy everything you need you will probably be ~$2K.

Joshua