Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need winch cable/rope input

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen91, Jan 7, 2002.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I just bought a winch, but it needs cable. After talking to a friend, he suggested nylon or kevlar rope. What do any of you know about this. Is it strong enough? Is it safer? Is it too much money? Any input will help. TIA!

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.masterpull.com>http://www.masterpull.com</a>

these things are way cool. when my budget allows for a winch (and rope and bumper....) this is what im getting.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

3. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    The Rockstomper website has some info on the ropes versus cable. They sell both of them there, and the rope is pricey.
    Russ

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Everything I've read about the Masterpull winch line says it's great stuff. Much safer than cable-it doesn't whip violently if it breaks when loaded, and it doesn't have broken wire strands to tear into your hands when you're handling it. You just need to take care of it a little more than steel cable (cover it when not in use, don't winch directly across rocks &amp; other sharp/rough edges). If I ever get a winch, I'll invest in a Masterpull line for it.

Ken

<font color=blue>America--Land of the Free, Home of the Brave<font color=black>

5. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Thank you for your help. But the rope is $250 and the cable is $70. I think I will be going with the cable for now. I was suprised to see that the straingth of the rope was higher than the cable. i.e.: 3/8 cable is rated at 14,400 lbs. and 3/8 rope in rated at 21,000 lbs. I will be getting the rope in the future.

<font color=red>....But I thought that sound was normal....!</font color=red>

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Mike, that Masterpull rope is awesome! Ryan has of course gotten some for free, and I intend to get some pretty soon here. They say it is well worth the money, and you can fit much more on the same winch than you could with cable...