Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need xfer case R+R suggestions/help ... maybe you could earn some $$$ ...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fredekr, Mar 18, 2003.

1. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Ok, so here's my situation. First, the facts: I live in Boulder, CO. I have a NP203. The truck grinds, clunks, then slips out of 4Hi & 4LO. Previous owner put part time kit in it. Everything else on the driveline looks good. I like part time operation. This Blazer has a camper conversion so it's a bit under 8.5' tall ... doesn't fit in any of my friend's garages (and most of my friends don't do car work or don't have garages anyway). My goal is to have good a 4x4 by April 4th. It's snowing like hell here, and won't let up until tomorrow night. My "garage" consists of a shaded, slanted parking spot.

I believe than the NP203 chain is loose. The shift fork(s) are probably worn too.

A local shop, the 4wheeler, took it for a drive and agrees with my assessment.

Here's the options the shop offered:
    1. They will rebuild the NP203 for $750-800 + parts... so I'm guessing this could run $1000-1200 total.
    2. They will put in a NP205 (that I supply) for $425. They will lengthen and shorten the driveshafts for $400 each. So we've got $1225 in labor. Boot Hill quoted me $600 for a used NP205 with TH350 adapter and shifter. So it's looking like $1800+ total. For that $$ I'm wondering if I should go to Atlanta and buy Grim's truck... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My parents live in colorado springs, so I could get a friend to follow me down, drive the truck + replacement transfer case down there, swap the case, drop the driveshafts off at a shop, and come back the next weekend to put it back together. (Question: I'm a driveshaft newbie, is it just a matter of unbolting and giving a shop the measurements?) It'd be in the driveway, so it could be unpleasant if the weather doesn't get better.

So...

Anyone out there have ideas for me? Or want to help? You can see the costs above... if you save me money I'm sure we can work something out /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Well h*ll it's worth a shot, I really want to get this running by April! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

cheers!
    Kevin

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If your truck at stock height to 2-1/2" lift You should just look for a NP205 and stock drive shafts that came with the 205. Then it would be very simple and cheap to swap.
    [ QUOTE ]
    They will lengthen and shorten the driveshafts for $400 each.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is highway robbery! Call around and find a better deal if you cant go with the option of stock driveshafts.

3. BlindHawk

BlindHawk Registered Member

$400 is way too much to pay to have shafts done. I had mine done in my '85 for less then $100. I would suggest looking around for better prices, since I am in Florida I can't help you find a place, but for all that money (all the prices seem high) maybe it wouldn't hurt to travle an hour or 2 for cheaper prices? If the cost will offset the drive time, gas, ect.
    Have you thought about rebuilding the case yourself? Here are a few links to help you get an idea on what it will take. Here and here
    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fredekr

Re: Need xfer case R+R suggestions/help ... maybe you could earn some $$$ .

Thanks for the feedback of prices folks! Maybe they meant $400 for both and I misheard him, but I don't think so... they would have to ship the driveshaft work out.

Getting the driveshafts from the donor vehicle is an option since I have no lift...

Love to do rebuild it myself, but no garage! And I don't really want to be cleaning parts in my living room...

cheers,
    Kevin

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

This shop is doing is best to f*ck you in every way possible. You can get totally new driveshafts built for $400 each. The labor to R&R a tcase shouldn't be that high. It is just a matter of taking out the driveshafts, and removing the bolts that hold the tcase in place. It is like 6-8 bolts depending on the adapter you have. Then you can lower it out of place on a jack, or tranny jack.

Boot Hill is really expensive on parts from what I have seen also. I was looking at D60's from them and they want $1500 for a Dually D60 which is high. I have heard they want the premium prices.

Personally if I was you I would wait till the weather was better, find a NP203 used in good shape, and then install a part time kit in it. It would be alot cheaper to find a new case, and then install the kit, then get ripped by this 4x4 shop and Boot Hill.

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well sir...i think the best option is to have your NP203 rebuilt. NP205's are great...and i swapped them into both my chalet and the 79...but the deal was to good to pass up...and i spent the money on the driveshafts. In phx...a t-case rebuild ran around $300 at most 4x4 shops...a bearing kit is around $180 with gaskets and seals..then you have coin for the needed hard parts. NP205's....in the auto trans flavor are getting harder to come by...the shifter at gm is around $100..and another $3-400 for the adapter...$100 for the dry sleeve..plus the cost of a used case..anywhere from $300 to sky's the limit...plus $400 for two new driveshafts...which BTW is about par for the course....the np203 rebuild is the cheapest route to follow at this point. I can take pics of an adapter i made for my jack to remove the tcase....makes the circus act easier.

To bad you didn't live done here...ORD is around 65 miles up the road...i'm sure he would give you a CK5 discount on rebuilding your tcase...

DougW. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

personally, I would swap to a 205...I have one that is in good shape (10-spline for behind a 465)...I have never rebuilt a 203 but could help you out a bit if you needed...I have a garage and tools..I can also help with the R&R; you just need to tbring the beer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Seriously, if you need help R&R'ing a case, lemme know...you can shoot up here or I can stop by Hippie City...I mean Boulder some weekend... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also, if you are interested in the 205 I have, let me know...Shoot me a PM bud...I am fiannly getting my damn 78 K5 out of my garage (sold it the other week) so now I wil have room to build my engine and play with some other stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifSo if you wanna rebuild you 203 some weekend, shoot me an e-mail...

Chris

8. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well seeing how you want it done by April 4th I would say Go and get Grimm's truck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Or get a temp 203 untill you get the time for a 205. I got luck with my 208/205 swap I found a member (I4x4) that had everything ready to go in (less driveshafts) If I hadn't I would of paid way to much for stuff like the shifter and the mounting for the t-case.
    And you mite get lucky and find everything at one place. I just had a thought I know a guy that is selling his 80k5 and it has a 205 with a 350 the 205 is a slip yoke though but if you got that you would have everything then you could part out the rest. You would have to use your tranny but you would have a spare.
    If you think that would work for you the Blazer is in the for sale board or I could seen you pic's.

Eric

9. fredekr

[ QUOTE ]
    I just had a thought I know a guy that is selling his 80k5 and it has a 205 with a 350 the 205 is a slip yoke though but if you got that you would have everything then you could part out the rest. You would have to use your tranny but you would have a spare.
    If you think that would work for you the Blazer is in the for sale board or I could seen you pic's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm considering all options! Which one is it?

10. fredekr

[ QUOTE ]
    I can stop by Hippie City

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tell me about it!

[ QUOTE ]
    So if you wanna rebuild you 203 some weekend, shoot me an e-mail...

[/ QUOTE ]
    I might take you up on that, very soon! Awesome thanks a million for the offer!

cheers,
    Kevin

11. Highlander

Here is the link to the K5 I do have newer pic's. I know Rob aka Boo399 would like to sell it (well I should say his wife /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) Make him an offer

Eric

12. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

They will lengthen and shorten the driveshafts for $400 each.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT!?!?

WHOAH!! HOLY CRAP! I had mine shorten AND had a brand new 1350 yoke put on for $55. That place is trying to rip you off!

13. Highlander

I know what you mean when I put the 205 in mine the rear cost me 220 new with 1350's and when I had the front shortend and rebuilt that was 220 as well.

Eric

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If you can wait, wait. A transfer case that isn't guaranteed good with a warranty isn't worth more than $250. They usually go for $100-$175.

Labor is going to be really high for replacing a transfer case. If you switch transfer cases they'll charge more because then they have to deal with more junk. I've only seen the inside of a transfer case once but I've been inside many manual transmissions. You can rebuild a manual transmission in 3 or 4 hours if you're really slow. I don't expect a transfer case is any worse. You should probably replace the chain (~$80), input and output bearings/races, and probably some forks.

You can buy new shafts from High Angle for what they want. You can buy aluminum high-end car racing driveshafts for less than that. $40-$80 is what resizing and balancing a driveshaft usually goes for.

For what they want you should be able to find another truck.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$425 for a tcase that you supply seems steep... I just got a 205 swapped in and if i had drilled the frame for the new xmember myself... had the seals i needed for the yokes, and had a shifter that had fit without being modded... I was quoted $175 for the swap.

j

16. fredekr

It's cool to get this feedback... it looks like ftcollinsram is going to help me out, woo hoo! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I hope to take the driveshafts down to a place in Denver instead... if it ends up costing me 1/4 of what that shop wanted to charge me I'm going to stop by and let them know, that's for sure. Oh, when I went to pick it up they said, "Well, I guess we could do the driveshafts for $325 each...". uh huh...

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you come to Illinios, I know where I can get you no less than a half a dozen NP 203s for free that work perfectly. If you want to put the part time kit in all six of them and have them ready to swap it, it'd still be cheaper than $1800, trust me.

You're getting screwed. I can buy TH 350s with NP 203s that work for $200-300 all day long.