Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need your ideas!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tarheel, Apr 23, 2003.

1. tarheel

tarheel Registered Member

ok guys- first off:i've been workin' on my rig for about a year now, and just recently started rummaging through the forums. i have learned more from you guys in four days than i learned from the damn magazines in two years!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    just wanted to kiss a little a$$ before i asked the question...

Heres what i want to do: 1. run dual batteries (optima-
    1red & 1yellow)
    2. get high output alternator
    w/ hellroaring iso/combiner
    3. run an on-board welder
    4. run on-board air (york)

i need some ideas on the best way to go about doing all of this. please help!!! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

For the York air, there are tons of articles on the net about making these.
    For the welder, just go buy one and install it per the manufactures instructions.
    Everyone kinda does there dual batteries different...so you may want to do a little research on that. Could probalby find lots of old posts using the search feature.

What is the purpose of running 2 different Optima's? Is this bad to have 2 batteries that are different...because I am assuming that they will charge/discharge at different rates?

Oh, and by the way, I would love to have any/all of those things that you mention on my truck...cause I don't have a 1 of em!

3. tarheel

[ QUOTE ]

What is the purpose of running 2 different Optima's? Is this bad to have 2 batteries that are different...because I am assuming that they will charge/discharge at different rates?

Oh, and by the way, I would love to have any/all of those things that you mention on my truck...cause I don't have a 1 of em!

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm certainly no expert, so take this for what it's worth;
    but the red top will be solely for cranking, and the yellow top will run all other electrical on the vehicle. the hellroaring iso/combiner handles the charging for both batteries and it takes care of regulating how much current goes to each battery. also- i know i could just go and buy a welder, but i was hoping for some ideas that have worked for you guys! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    the hellroaring iso/combiner handles the charging for both batteries and it takes care of regulating how much current goes to each battery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, the Hellroaring doesn't have any sort of regulation. All the Hellroaring does is connect the second battery when it senses voltage is high enough to do so (13.4 VDC, alternator cranking), and disconnects if voltage drops (engine off, disconnect at 13.2 VDC). Nevertheless, you'll be fine charging both batteries from the same regulated alternator because they have similar enough charging requirements that it's ok for the regulator (on your alternator) to "see" them as one big battery.

cheers,
    Kevin

5. tarheel

[ QUOTE ]

Um, the Hellroaring doesn't have any sort of regulation. All the Hellroaring does is connect the second battery when it senses voltage is high enough to do so (13.4 VDC, alternator cranking), and disconnects if voltage drops (engine off, disconnect at 13.2 VDC). Nevertheless, you'll be fine charging both batteries from the same regulated alternator because they have similar enough charging requirements that it's ok for the regulator (on your alternator) to "see" them as one big battery.

cheers,
    Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

whoops!! sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    2. get high output alternator

[/ QUOTE ] Find a local shop that rebuilds alternators and have them build a high output unit for you !!! It'll work better and be cheaper then one from a parts store or mail order.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm certainly no expert, so take this for what it's worth;
    but the red top will be solely for cranking, and the yellow top will run all other electrical on the vehicle. the hellroaring iso/combiner handles the charging for both batteries and it takes care of regulating how much current goes to each battery. also- i know i could just go and buy a welder, but i was hoping for some ideas that have worked for you guys! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I've seen 16 volt set ups for the starter and ignition, with the rest of the electrical on 12 volt.