Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need your info on wheeling! Plz Read!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BabeTheBigBlueOx, Jan 15, 2006.

1. BabeTheBigBlueOx

BabeTheBigBlueOx Registered Member

Special Interest groups are trying to highly limit and/or stop completely shutting down public use of four wheeling because the destruction of natural habitat and what not. What I need to know from you is a reason or two explaining why wheel'n is important to you and why they shouldn't limit wheel'n on public land. Please give me any kind of reason you have. Thanks for your help! :bow:

(I'm doing this for a class project for college, and I could really use some help.)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not all of us are young, and able bodied...so a vehicular trip into the back country is our only real option.

Rene

3. BabeTheBigBlueOx

thanks i'll be using that as one of my quotes

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

"A shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive..."

That question always has bias. Should public use land be regulated? Yes. Should off road vehicles be completely banned? No.

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I like 4 wheeling because I can get back far enough into the mountains in 1 day that would take several days on foot. I like being able to get to a high mountain lake that would, if on foot or horseback would be a week long trip, in a weekend.

Additionally, my wife had Hodgkins Lymphoma in her chest that, even after she's in remission, is still significantly limiting her lung capacity, so she doesn't have the stamina to hike in the mountains for miles and miles on end. Because of motorized access, she can see parts of the world that she would have never been able to see before.

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

ok here's my thought on it...

A main argument that seems to always come up is "letting 4wds go into the wilderness is ruining it--we need to preserve it." well with that said if we aren't allowed to go back into the wilderness and experience it first hand why does it need preserving, Just so we know it's there?? I mean come on through wheeling I've been places 90% of people will never get to see and enjoy. Some of the most breath taking scenic views I've ever seen is from a mountain peak 50miles into the forest. So say 4wds become banned in an area. (keeping with the 90% example) the 10% of people that ACTUALLY enjoyed that part of nature now can't and really the beauty is lost because now one will be able to get to it.

also This video is still one of the best I've ever seen

http://media.putfile.com/adg71

with statments about using land the way it should be used...and "it's not just a bunch a drunk rednecks drinking beer and driving their jeeps through the woods." Wheeling is a great way for friends and family to spend time together. It creates lifetime friendships. There're people I've met only once or twice or maybe even a couple times and would consider them extended family and would drive through the night for to help get them unstuck or bring a part. I don't know of any other sport/hobby that there is that kind of bond between people.

7. BabeTheBigBlueOx

thanks guys keep'm coming!

8. the beast

the beast 1/2 ton status

First of all as a tax paying American it's your "inalienable right.....in the pursuit of happiness"

But, responsible motorized recreation is a fun, exciting, and educational way for families to spend time together.