Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need your opinion on what to do with my Rearend.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jays68yak, Apr 10, 2006.

?

So which option should I go with?

1. 1

36.0%
  2. 2

4.0%
  3. 3

4.0%
  4. 4

56.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

A little back ground..I daily drive a 94 k2500 ext cab short bed truck. Its the lighter 3/4 ton so its still 6 lug. In the past few months I have put a new crate motor in, a rebuilt tranny, and now the rearend has blown up. I killed the pinion and everyone of the ring gear teeth and chipped. Im torn between what I should do to fix it. Its a daily driver, 60+ miles a day, and my tow rig for the beater. Currently has a 14bsf with 4:10s and a gov loc.

1. New Eaton limited slip, new 4:10 gears, master rebuild kit, new axle bearings and seals. $1000

2. Used gov lock, new gears, master rebuild kit, new axle bearings. $700

3. Used gov lock, used gears, master rebuild kit, new axle berings. $500

4. Drop in the 14bff that I have sitting at my parents, already should have 4:10s, its open, would need to move purches, shock mounts, its 8 lug, my wheels are 6 lug. So i would either need to convert it to 6 lug or buy new wheels and then change the front to match.

5. Trade the 14bff for a 14bsf with a gov loc and 4:10 gears, but the mileage is either 120k or 220k, and it wouldnt bolt in since its from an 88 suburban and is also 8 lug. Could swap the gears and gov loc to my housing. Cost of master rebuild kit and axle bearings. $250.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Use tha carrier that is in it now, and add new gears and install kit. That would be cheapre than all of the options that you listed.
    That is, unless you broke the carier also.

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Ive had issues with the gov loc not locking or staying locked and I figure while im at it might as well go with something new or less use on it.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the gov-lock has given you problems already, I'd say stay away. My 14SF has issues as well with the gov-lock.

I'd probably choose the Eaton as a daily driver/tow rig, unless you plan on getting the wheels off the ground, the Eaton should be fine.

I'd opt for the 800lb spring option, but last I checked they hadn't come out with that for the 14SF yet. I had asked Randy's R&P, but that was over 6 months ago, and I *think* the 800lb kit for the Eaton was supposed to be out by now.

Of course, now that I think about it more, you have at least two more options for the 9.5" diff.

Here's one: http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod7.htm Yeah, pricey, but compared to many of the other traction options for the 9.5, it's not THAT much more expensive considering how well that thing works.

The other is this one: http://www.detroitlocker.com/DT.htm The elocker is leaps and bounds better than this, but this one, with the wheels on the ground, is going to tend to be better than posi. You can still overcome the wheel in the air spinning issue, but it's a bit more involved.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The title of this thread made me laugh.

6. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Are you going to do it yourself?

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

9. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

looks like im going to be dropping the 14bff in. Getting someone to mod me some hubs, then converting it to disc.

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Barring the change to 6-lug (and/or buying wheels), changing to the 14BFF is the cheapest and strongest of the options.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pimp it out on a street corner and see if you can make any money. :D