Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need your opinions please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_fujisawa, Sep 3, 2003.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

hey all. i recently got an '88 k5 all stock. i want to mdify a bit and am new to the whole off road thing. from what i have read i would like to start with a shackle flip for the rear, raise up the front to match the rear, and get some larger tires. my big questions are: will the stock axles (gm 10 bolt) be allright with 35" tires? should i go 33" instead? can i make the axles stronger without swaping for better ones? i don't have lots of cash so i can't swap axles just yet. also i won't (at least for now) be doing alot of technical or tough wheeling. any suggestons are appreciated. thanks /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well first, shackle flips are usually 4" lift so springs, shocks and steering to match are good for ya. Check out www.offroaddesign.com for lift springs and shackle flip. you COULD run 35s with 10 bolts but it will be a stay out of the heavy throttle thing. Building up a set of 10 bolts would be a waste of time and money, getting new axles would be better. Gearing is a big issue. That really determines tire size if you aren't going to swap axles or gearing. Nice to see someone so quickly buy a membership.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice to see someone so quickly buy a membership.

[/ QUOTE ]

....and his profile is also filled out nicely!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You are going to make friends in a hurry around here!

I tend to agree with what's already been said, 10-bolts are probably not a good "long term" solution for you if you do 35" tires.

You mentioned doing mild wheeling, which means that 33's shouldn't really be that much of a problem for you. What you will find, is that a single change to your vehicle can force you to make other changes as well......

Example:

Add 33" tires.

Side effects:

Need more lift to clear the fenders, or need to cut fenders to use existing suspension.
    More lift usually means you need to make corrections to the steering system to deal with "bump steer"
    More tire diameter means that your transmission is going to work a LOT harder when it's in O.D. on the highway. This means heat, and heat is the enemy of your transmission. So, you either decide to not use O.D. anymore....or you re-gear the axles to bring the RPMs back up to where they need to be.

See what I mean? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's not all bad news, so don't get me wrong....it will be important for you to understand that other parts of your truck will be affected by the things you decide to change.

All the answers you will need are on this site. Congrats for deciding to be a part of it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. mr_fujisawa

so for "mild" wheelin on 33's i would need to lift, regear, and stering crrection. . .
    would that just make it more worth it to wait and swap axles as well? if i were to do that what axles should i go for? (i don't need anything extreme, just moderate)
    i'm also having trouble reading this gear chart

subfan, i couldn't reply to you for some reason. how would i go about cooling the trans. more?

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I would suggest that you go ahead and do your lift and put the 35s on the stock rims for now. The reason that I suggest this is because you can then save up some money and look for a set of 3/4 ton axles that have 4.10 gears in them. This will get you both the stronger rear axle to help deal with the taller tires, but it will also be a comparatively inexpensive way to get gears that are better suited to the tire size. Normally regearing your stock axles will run over $1000 at the labor rates that you see in the Bay Area.

If you look around for a little while you WILL find a set of 3/4 ton axles in great shape with 4.10s, or even better yet 4.56s, for under $500. Once you get the axles you can go ahead and pick up a set of rims, the reason I suggest waiting is because you'll end up with 8 lug wheels on the 3/4 ton stuff, whereas you have 6 lug now. Good luck, and welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you're interested in talking to some local guys then head on over to www.norcalbigdawgs.net and sign up in our forums. We even have at a member in the city that's a real nice guy and often has parts that he's selling too. He's on here too, goes by the handle of Eric M.</font>

6. mr_fujisawa

shaggy! thanks so much. i checked out norcal big dawgs. i will see you over there too. (saw your for sale ad)

you don't think that running 35's on the stock gearing is going to be too much? maybe i should just go 33's for now?

i really appreciate all the help. you guys rock! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif now please sign this

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats your current gear ratio? That is a big factor in choosing a tire size. If you have 2.73's I would stay with 31" or maybe smaller. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you have 3.08's I would go with a 31" or 33". I f you have 3.42's I would go witha 33" or maybe 35". 3.73's are the lowest you could have from the factory in a civilian K5, 33's work pretty well with this gearing but 35's are a little tall still. I have 4.10's in my 3/4ton set with 35" boggers, I wouldn't mind having 4.56 or 4.88's for more power and I have a built 406. I would run some nice 33's with your 4" lift, that would look good. I have a set of 33x14.50x15 Super swamper SSR radials balanced on 15x10 alcoa rep. 589's for sale. Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Nice to see another member starting a fun K5 buildup. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A big tranny cooler....

now that you are orange, making a reply would be easy....

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I believe ORD has a 2.5 inch shackle flip as well, in case you might be interested. I just removed my 31s and put on 33s (3.08 gears in a 12 bolt). I do light wheeling and have yet to rub so I haven't had to do any trimming. I plan on doing the 2.5 inch shackle flip in the rear down the road. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And from what I've read, w/ the 2.5 inch flip you don't have to do any major mods like the steering, brake lines, etc. At least that's my understanding...I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome aboard!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The gear ratio is really going to determine what size tire you can get away with for now, but I'd say that so long as you are sure that you are going to upgrade to better gears or axles with better gears in them, then just get whatever size tire you want. It will suck for awhile and you won't be able to use overdrive, but at least you won't have to buy another set of tires later. Another route is to find some cheap used 33s (easy) until you get the axles or gears, then go to the 35s after that.

Do you know your stock gear ratio? If you look at the codes in the glovebox there should be one that starts with GU (If I remember correctly), that one designates what gears you have. Post up that code and we can tell you what the ratio is now.

The recommendation to get a tranny cooler is a real good one, 700r4s hate heat, and big tires cause the tranny to heat up easier. Make it a priority to get the biggest tranny cooler that you can find, especially if you go with the 35s right off and have tall gears right now.</font>

11. mr_fujisawa

hey shaggy,
    the code is: gu2
    the spec part of the site here says TH700-R4 (3.06:1 First Gear)
    thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Bad news - GU2 is a 2.73 ratio. It really can't get much worse as far as gear ratios suitable for bigger tires go. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font>

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You have a problem with those gears, they are WAY to high, even for stock 31's. I would not run 33's or 31's with that ratio. 2.73 is good for a car with 26's to 28's. I don't know what the hell GM was thinking with that ratio in a pickup! Leave it stock or find antoher set of axles with at least 3.73's or lower the better.

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'll give ya soem 3/4 tons if you come to SD and get em! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Anyway, good luck. I have a K5 with 32" TSLs and it does alright on two tracks and mud around 12" deep, can't say much for rocks though

Wish the blue thing was up and running...

Anyway good luck again!

15. mr_fujisawa

oh man, what a bummer. damn the tech that built my k5! oh well. i wish i was closer to SD i would take you up on those axles. anybody coming to CA from there? please? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

guess i just got to get some new axles. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 81 Jimmy came with 2.73's, a 4 speed and had 33's on it when I bought it. I feel your pain...

Rene

17. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lets break it down

2 inches between 33 and 35
    how many off road obsticles will you encouter where that 2 inches will make a difference, and out of those...how many can be handled simply by good driving

if you have to choose between...
    35"s and new gears, suspension, steering, axles....
    or
    33"s...mabye some trimming
    its a pretty obvious choice for someone who isnt bill gates...such as myself...and im sure many others

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My 81 Jimmy came with 2.73's, a 4 speed and had 33's on it when I bought it. I feel your pain...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine had a 700R4, 2.73s, and 31s when I got it. That's like 1300 RPM in OD @ 65. It was horrible. No wonder the lockup TC was unhooked when I got it. I'd bet with the 4 speed the 2.73 wasn't near as bad, but it certainly sucks with a 700, I'll tell ya.

Tecton,

You're all wrong, but thinking on the right track. The difference between 33s and 35s doesn't necessitate any upgrade. All those upgrades are necessary with 33s and 35s both...just the bigger you get, the more necessary they become.

If it was up to me, all these trucks would have had 3/4 tons, 3.73s or 4.10s, and 31s from the factory. Those are all bare minimum upgrades in my opinion.

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    lets break it down

2 inches between 33 and 35
    how many off road obsticles will you encouter where that 2 inches will make a difference

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, the 2 inches is split in the middle by the axle, so you are only getting an inch in ground clearance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Beat me to it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif