Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need your opinon. (Pics of first run added to this post.)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazen91, Oct 12, 2004.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I put a 2 chamber Flow Master on my trail truck. It has a 454 with 2 1/2" off the manifolds and 3" back after the collector. Tonight on the test run for the trans, the whole exhaust system was red from the heads to the muffler. Yes, including the manifolds. Do you think the muffler is too small, and causing too much back presure?

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Re: Need your opinon.

no you should have plenty of flow, make sure your engine is not overheating.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

An overheating engine won't neccesarely cause the exhaust to turn red. What kind of fuel system are you running? Sounds like your fuel mixture is leaned out and/or you were running it hard. At night it is possible to see the exhaust a slight red close to the engine when it's being ran hard. IIRC a rich mixture can also cause very high EGTs from the unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust itself. I would guess that it's a lean mixture most likely.

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

TBI. If anything it smells rich, but I'm not sure. I wasn't running it hard at all. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I would say maybe lean also.

Is the muffler installed in the correct direction?

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Yes it is. I retimed it and it runs alot better. I forgot to unplug the plug on the fire wall(what ever it is). I'll have to wait till tonight to see if the exhaust still glows.

7. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

EST wire, electronic spark control. I believe it's circuit 112, but don't quote me on that! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Well it fixed it. I took it out yesterday on it's first run. We just played in some rocks in Johnson Valley, but damn it was fun. Wheeling with a vehicle you don't care about body damage on is great. I broke a few thinks, found a few things I still need to do, but it was a great first run.

It did really good. A few spots of body damage, and a broken steering box cap was the only carnage. I need to cut the rear fenders alot more. The tires bent the hell out of those. And a limpy head light!! No one brought a camera out on the run.

Here's some pics:
    Pics of damage

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You need to weld a piece of aluminum where you tapped the steering box cap. Even with an extra piece of aluminum there I have seen some caps crack because of the stress. There was a company posted in a hydraulic assist topic a while ago that had caps for the end that will handle the pressure/stress. I lost the link though, maybe you can find it if you search? I think I'm going to make a pizza... stupid exhaust leak.