Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

need your opion and help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JohnDeere, Dec 2, 2006.

1. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

Ok I am starting to plan out my engine project for the spring. I am wanting to build a 383 stroker for my blazer. This is my DD so nothing wild and I want to have good gas mileage with good performance like everyone else. At first i was going to do big block but that is out because of cost and gas mileage. So far here what im looking to run

Eagle 3.750 stroke
    Pro Speed flat top pistons .30 over
    New Balance and Flex plate

I'm going to run Vortec Heads but
    Depending on how much money i have it will either be
    Sumit Racing Vortec Heads
    or
    GM Perfomance Parts
    Im looking to run between a 9-1 to a 9.5-1 compression

Keeping the Quad on maybe get it rebuilt.
    Have plans in the future for TBI but not anytime soon.

Here is what i need help on
    1. I have been told that some year blocks are stronger than other. I know I want a 4 bolt, but are there an years i should look for.

2. I dont know what Cam i want to run yet. I want either a 260, 268 or 270. But dont know which one yet or what brand. i want my torque band to be between 2400 and 3000.

3. Last is the ignition. Right now it mainly stock, just up graded wires(Accel 300+) and an upgraded HEI head just a little better than stock. Will that be fine or will i need to upgraded and what would be a good cheap upgrade?

Now I'm a colloge student so funds are short so any info. would be helpful.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  2. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

anything

3. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Check out Bigblaze's post for some opinions...

4. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

I just really need help on picking out a cam. That is my main problem since I dont know what to look for. The other thing is i want to start from a good block and a heard that some years are better than other and would want to know what year to look for.

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Main thing on the cam is making sure it will work when you convert to TBI. The cam you run now may not work well then. I usually can Crane, Comp ams, etc when building a new engine and give them all the specs on the engine as well as the weight of the vehicle, gears, tires, trans, etc. and see what they recommend.

6. mello_yello

mello_yello 1/2 ton status

first of all do you have an engine in youre blazer,if so what type of shape is the block in? if you can i would use that, if not try to get a block before 1980 and dont bother post 1985. past that probably th other difference in blocks are presonal prefrences. Oh, dont forget to to make sure you get a good machine shop the easiest way to find them usually is that they'll be busy, it might take awhile to get it done but remember that there is usually a reason why the other guys dont have any customers. as for a cam i havent delt much with TBI's so i couldnt tell you on that

good luck with the build
    i just finished mine its not one of those big 383s
    but i can say i got a six liter in my 85 blazer

7. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

comp cam268 xtreme energy

8. JohnDeere

JohnDeere 1/2 ton status

I have a post 80 350 in my blazer right now but it is my DD so i need another block. I have heard from guys localy that from 75-78 have the best casting year for 350 block so thats what im going to look for. I have found a local shop that is pretty cheap but dose great work.

Thanks for your help

yeah i just got off their website and the 268 is the one i liked the most so im 90% going with that one. Still got a 2 months to look around before i start

Thanks