Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

needed:cowl hood pics,opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Jun 13, 2004.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i've been looking at advantage glass(?)cowl hoods and saw they offer a 42"and46" version.what are you guys running?do you have pics?how about ease of install,whats involved(if anything other than stick on)thanks in advance.

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Here's a recent post on cowl hoods. May not be exactly what you are looking for as I think you are talking about the style that you add to your stock hood, but I think there is a reference to those in here. This one is about an add on style.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Here's a link to a post i put up awhile back.
    cowl hoods
    Thats what I'm going with on my 89. I have had problems with fiberglass hoods on a daily driver. cracking after time.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have a 4" tall cowl hood on my daily driver right now and it has a huge crack. Just got to get around to fixing it. I think to really get all the advantage from these you would need to make a pan to isolate the air to the carb from the rest of the engine bay. Kinda seal the carb to the hood. When I'm zipping down the highway in the rain, water will form droplets on the back side of the cowl and sucks them in. Don't thing this small amount hurts anything.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I think to really get all the advantage from these you would need to make a pan to isolate the air to the carb from the rest of the engine bay..

[/ QUOTE ] I agree. I've used breather pans on many rotrods, fairly easy too make.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

old musle cars like my bosses gto use a piece of foam in like a ring sealing aganst the pan and the hood, prob helpd w/high dust /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Moroso performance makes these "air pan kits" if you want to seal one to a hood.
    Moroso

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

How does that work in conjunction with the hood. Do you put a pan across the bottom of the cowling and then cut a hole just inside of where the foam will hit?

Does the foam ring become the filter?

Any pics or articles?

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

how it works, atleast ones ive looked at, you would take the base off our trucks (minus the snorkle intake lol) and take the lid off. then there would be a flat plate over top of just the filter, and the foam seal would come down on the rim of the filter base, if that makes sense.

10. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I like the look of the cowl hoods. I have a question about them though. If air is flowing over the hood towards the back of the truck create a suction out of the engine compartment there for pulling air away from the carb/TB? How do true cowls actually work?

Sorry about the hijack.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

how i understand the cowl induction is that at speed a high pressure area occurs in front of the windshield. with the cowl there (low pressure) the air goes back into the cowl, and into the carb.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think a nice cowl hood looks badass on our 80's body styles. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I will take a few pics when my 3.5" fiberglass cowl hood gets here from Advantage and the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif rolls out of the paint/body shop with a fresh coat of charcoal silver. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

thanks,guys!i have to admit,though that i'm only going for the "tough appeal"that the cowl hood offers(does that make me a poser?)unless i'll be able to get noticable performance with little effort,that is.our older chevy's get an aggressive,tough look with the cowl hoods.another idea i have is using the "shaker hood" scoop from a 70's trans-am.has anyone done that?the picture in my head looks awesome but sometimes the fantasy is better than the reallity,so to speak.how 'bout it? anyone out there w/ shaker-hood-on-a-chevy-4x4 pics

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i have to admit,though that i'm only going for the "tough appeal"that the cowl hood offers(does that make me a poser?)

[/ QUOTE ]No, despite what most people say....doing something just for looks is NOT a sin. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

15. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    i have to admit,though that i'm only going for the "tough appeal"that the cowl hood offers(does that make me a poser?)

[/ QUOTE ]No, despite what most people say....doing something just for looks is NOT a sin.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI'M NOTTA POSER!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. cybrfire

I forgot I had my own pics on my web site. HA.

[​IMG]

17. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

how 'bout the shaker hood idea?any pics?all opinions and other ideas are more than welcome.you folks at CK5 are my inspiration.i'm thinking simple,but effective. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.giftruck!what year is it? 2,3,4" hood?steel or glass?

19. cybrfire

It is an 85 GMC 4" tall fiberglass cowl on a steel hood. It has a nice big crack these days.

20. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

I wanted to get one for a long time but then I started wheeling in stuff other then sand and mud. Blazers are hard to see out of the way they are and one time I completely lost a Jeep that was in front of me. I stopped cause I couldnt see him and I was just about to get out of the truck and look and then I saw the tip of his CB antenna. After that happened I decided I dont really want a cowl hood anymore. Just thought id put my 2cents in.

Nick