Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

needed: evaporator canister

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Max, Jun 14, 2001.

1. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Howdy all,
    tried to get the beast inspected. its almost all good except a horn wire needs fixin and it needs an evaporator canister. guy said about any one from 78 and older truck would fit. anybody have one they wanna get rid of? im not sure if im calling it the right thing, it sits up front in the engine compartment and hooks to gas tank filler tube and to the vacuum on the carb.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

That's the evaporative emission control canister (aka chatcoal can). I'm not too sure that any can from a '78 or older truck will fit, because GM changed a lot of stuff on vatious models from year to year. It is possible that they will fit, but I don't know enough about the emissions systems of trucks other than the '72 Blazer with CA emissions.

3. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

i belive i still have one , but i will have to go and check to make sure, i think it's round and about 6-7 inches round. send me an email and i will let you know. blazingjesse@yahoo.com

4. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Damn i pulled mine awhile ago and would of given it to you but i think i thru it away.

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Max,
    I have a canister from my 71 resto project that I am 99% sure I do not need. The inspection guy here in Texas said there is no emissions check needed for a 1971 vehicle...only a safety check. If this is true, I won't install the canister. If you still need one, how soon do you have to have it? JT

6. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

I'd need it pretty soon if possible. Want to get it through inspection so I can use it :) hehe. Any idea where it mounts in a 71 and which hoses run to it and from where?? That info would be great as I am gonna try to hook one up from a diff year that should be kinda similar. If you can tell me where the hoses run, it would help a lot!

7. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Max,
    It mounts on the passenger side fender up by the battery. There is a mounting tray for it. There is a rubber hose going to one of the fuel tank hard lines whichs terminates below the canister on the frame rail. Another hose goes to a carb port. This is what I remember before I took it off. I did take a video of the lines , mounting etc, before I removed it so I can get more specific if you want me to look at the video. Let me know if you need my canister. See ya, JT

8. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Ok, I checked my video. The canister is tucked way into the corner under the triangular brace which holds the fender and radiator support together. There are 3 hoses connected to the lid of the canister. One line goes to the fuel tank line mentioned above, one line goes tees into the pcv hose coming from the valve covers, and the last (skinny) hose runs to a port on the side of the carb. Hope it helps. JT

9. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Thanks for checking that for me, helps a lot!!!! I will see if the one from a newer model that i got at a junk yard will work. If it won't then i'd love to have yours if you are going to get rid of it.