Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEEDED: OBA Advise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Feb 13, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I am looking to start learning about what I need to complete my OBA setup. I've had this York 210 sitting on my bench for nearly a year I would guess... I think its time to put it to use.

#1. I still can't find a BBC bracket to mount this thing... so I will probably fab up my own.

#2. Tanks? What size tank is best? I figure I will put mine under the bed in front of the axle. I've seen 2.5gal tanks for $72.50 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif or 3gal tanks for $29... why such a difference? Is the 3gal too big? Should I just mount it inside the truck to keep it out of harms way? Here are the tanks I am looking at:
    Kilby Enterprises
    3gal no namer tank

#3. Electrics? I am looking for the "down and dirty" setup... I know I need a pressure switch... and the power switch... I recall seeing a diagram somewhere for this... but for the life of me I can't remember. ???

#4. Rebuilding my York... should I bother, or just run it as it stands? Is there a way to test these things to see what kind of running condition they are in?

#5. I am sure I am missing something, someone want to clue me in?

Thanks all! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Dan

2. KRAZIE87K5

Found #3 on my own... guess I am just blind...

[​IMG]

Still need answers on the rest though...

-Dan

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

You will most likely have to get brackets fabed. I have yet to find any, though I've heard some RVs had a York on them.

I looked at the url for the $29 tank. It appears to not have any fittings. You could try finding a tractor trailor salvage yard and get the air tanks of one for the brakes. I picked up a couple 3.5 to 4 gal tanks kinda cheap that way. You just have to be careful with their size. I had to do some grinding on the tank's brackets to get mine between the frame rails. (have one left over if your interested).

I contemplated rebuilding my york until I started looking for replacement parts. They can be found, but are a little pricey. Just make sure the clutch engages and you feel suction and pressure on the respective lines. Nice thing is, if the clutch won't engage, replace it. The clutch coil is inexpensive and most parts stores will "rent" the clutch holding tool. It is easy to replace, with the clutch holding tool.

Good Luck!

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like you're doing a setup similar to mine. My brackets are being cut out sometime in the next couple of weeks, as soon as my stepdad gets time to use the bandsaw and mill at his work. I mounted my tank in the same place, right under the bed just forward of the axle. The bigger the tank the better, I fit a 6 gallon tank that came off of a semi trailer. The tank is about 10" in diameter, which worked out perfect since I found a real nice way to mount it. I got some strut and pipe hangers for 10" pipe from McMaster-Carr and hung that sucka right in there. The hangers needed to be shortened a little bit but it worked out great.

There's about 12" of clearance from the tank to the driveshaft, so I'd need to get 12" of compression simultaneously from both rear springs in order to have any interference problems between the tank and the shaft.
    [​IMG]

If you want some more pics I have them at home, I can get you the part numbers for the hangers too if you're interested. BTW, the tank only cost $30, which IIRC is a bit less than the 3 gallon from Kilby. </font color>

5. KRAZIE87K5

From the look of the pass rear shock in that pic, you aren't getting much more than 1" up travel on that side! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Good advise on the tank. I will take a look at the local yard for one there.

-Dan

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the shock was attached tothe axle then you would indeed be correct. Good eyes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The shock isn't attached onthe bottom though, it's just compressed up so I don't hit my noodle on it when I roll around under the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm on there website now, where did you find this hook image at? I must just be blind lol

8. KRAZIE87K5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    hook image

[/ QUOTE ]

??????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif ???????

-Dan

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I seem to can't type either...The image you posted of how it all hooks up is what I was trying to refer to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. KRAZIE87K5

ahhhh... its at the top of the http://www.onboardair.com/ page... says something like, "START HERE" blinking in red... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks

12. KRAZIE87K5

You bet! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I think you should go with the Chrome 6 gallon tank!

Actually, look at some of those cheap "air peg" tanks you can buy at your local hardware store. They usually have a guage, manifold and popoff valve if you are looking at saving money. (another Todd tip)

You will definately need the pressure switch, check valve, popoff valve and fittings.

Fab the bracked and install an idler pulley to adjust tension instead of adjustable pump mount. Easier to build that way.

I lucked out when Todd and I went to Taylors one day. He said he heard there was an aftermarket York setup on some Chevy Vans and we found one with pump, bracket and idler.

I have the Sun Performance tank in 2.5 gallons but I would think the more the merrier. More storage capacity I believe means the less your pump will kick on.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Go to the links thread in the beginning of this forum, there is an OBA link and they have all the info and the parts you need.
    I learned everything I did from there.
    As for Tanks, I got mine 7gallon tanks from walmart for $10 each and I am putting 2 under there.
    To me the more the better and at that price why not?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

We (you) scored big that day!

I used a 7 gal tank from Home Depot. For like $17, it had the 150psi pop off and gauge.