Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Needing another schematic... Underhood.. alternator etc...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rocko, Jun 1, 2004.

1. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I am restoring the wiring harness on my black/gray 89k5... In the process... I've removed a poorly installed GM Security system and man.. there are too many "stray" wires under my dash and hood.. I was wondering if anyone has the schematic for underhood/under dash to include starter/ alternator/ fuse block for a 89k5...

Here's what's happening... my battery is getting drained at a rapid rate..
    New battery and alternator just installed..
    Something is draining it.. I want to redo the wiring.. cause when I turn on my turn signals.. I can watch the amp gauge pulsate with the turn signals.. and my ac will drain my alternator at a rapid rate also.

Any help is greatly appreciated... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before you get too far into it, cheeck the voltage at the battery, with the engine running. It should be in the 13.8-14.2 volt range. Then start turning stuff on, lights, a/c, wipers, etc and watch the voltage. If it drops below 13 volts then your alternator just isn't putting out enough juice to keep the battery charged. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Thanks Harry... I had the battery checked at work, shows it's putting out low output.. when my battery was charged, it was fine.. I believe the alt is draining my battery. And when I turn on my turn signals.. I can see the amp gauge needle be in sync with the turn signal clicking.. is this a sign of my alternator also? or something more indepth ?
    This is a brand new alternator also... do these things go bad right out of the box? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Rocko, check my webshots, I believe I have some more diagrams there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Too the top.