Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Needing electric speedo for 205 t-case. Any such thing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

OK, now I have found that a 700r/spacer/adapter/205 t-case will work, but NOW I have to get a electric speedo to work in the t-case.

Anyone have any info? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks
    Mike B /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: Wanting a fixed rear yoke t-case to mate with 700R

If you find a 205 off a th350, it is easy to make it bolt up. You can either buy an spacer ($60) that goes between the 700 and the 205 w/ 350 adapter, (trans/spacer/adapter/t-case), or you can buy a new output shaft for your trans for somewhere around $185.

Do a search for 700r4 and 205 and there is quite a bit of info out there. You should be able to find the part #'s for the spacer and the output shaft and where to buy them.

3. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The part you need is shown about half way down this page: http://www.painlesswiring.com/fiacc.htm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It attaches to the 205's speedometer cable outlet, then plugs into your existing VSS wiring. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Just seal up the output for the cable on the adatper to keep mud out and you'll be on your way.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think you could use a #5291 from Autometer?

6. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got some pics that shows how it is done. Get up with Donovan and he can set you up. This is the same setup that Steve uses on the UAV. I was impressed with the quality and speed he did the work. Here's the links:

205-1

205-2

7. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

With this part, will my speedo still work? Has anyone done this with a VSS K5?

8. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Big O,

How much does Donovan charge to do this? How long?

Thanks
    Mike B

9. HarryH3

Yep. It supplies the same signal as a stock VSS. It just has the advantage of being easily connected to the existing "cable only" connection on the 205. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Cost is somewhere around $85.

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I think it would be easier/cheaper to convert your odometer to the older cable drive. The electronic speedo is only essential to run the 4L80E and ABS.

The factory electronic speedo parts for the NP205 ('91 crewcab ONLY) have been discontinued. The way Donovan's doing it looks good if its a must-have.

11. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The electronic speedo is only essential to run the 4L80E and ABS.

[/ QUOTE ] But on a '91, the VSS is also supplies vehicle speed info to the engine computer. Without it the ECM will set the check engine light within a half mile of driving. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So add in the cost of a custom programmed chip to disable the VSS in the software and suddenly it's cheaper to just install an aftermarket VSS. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I was talking to painless and they said it will send the signal to the ecm, but will not run the speedo.
    Does anyone know where the speedo gets its signal? I thought it would get it from the computer.
    I think I am going to sick with the 241 and just get the
    SYE for it.

13. HarryH3

GM is far too cheap to have two different signal generators feed the ECM and the speedometer. If you can find a wiring diagram, I'm guessing you'll find that the VSS feeds into a signal buffer (which converts the output of the VSS to a nice, clean square wave) which then splits out to the ECM and speedo. If this is true, then the VSS from Painless should work just fine.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Or simply change to a mechanical speedo ECM or prom chip. There's enough of then out there in the boneyards from 87-90 for cable speedo applications.

The VSS does hook up to the ECM, and the odometer gets the signal from the ECM.

Say on a '91 SM465 truck w/out cruise, and w/out ABS, will disconnecting the VSS affect the driveability, or does it just turn the light on in the dash? If its just the light, I know how to fix that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. HarryH3

I don't think that a VSS error will cause the ECM to go into limp home mode, but you'd need to ask someone that really knows the programming in the PROM to know for certain.

16. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

check out my gauges in the off-road k5 at the link in my signature...

17. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

on my 87 K5, the ECM "needs" a VSS signal. Since the 87 had a mech. speedo, the VSS module is in the speedo itself...My speedo cable has be broke for months (fell agains exhaust and melted and then broke) Usually set off the SES light when I bring the engine revs up pretty high when down shifting...but the engine runs fine...maybe a little little off, but not bad at all...I am gonna fix the speedo cable one of these days...

Chris