Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Needing Some Serious Help Here!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by speedy, Mar 24, 2002.

1. speedy

speedy 1/2 ton status

I don't know what you all know of BMW's, but here's my prob. It'll turn over so I'm sure it's not the starter, but it could still have something to do with it. I'm getting a spark, so it's not the rotor or the spark plugs/wires. I checked all of those too. Sometimes when I try to start it, and it's not starting, I'll turn the key off and the car is still trying to start. I can take the key out and it's still trying to start. Then if I turn the key back to start, it'll click and shut the car off. I'm thinking its the ignition there. But there's another problem... my fuel pump outside of the tank (there's one in the tank too, damn foreign cars /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ) it's an electric pump, but you can't hear it when the keys on or you're trying to start it. Alright, now that I gave you guys an earful, got any suggestions??? Any are appreciated, I just really need some help here! Thanks in advance!

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Do yourself a favor and remove the battery cables when you are not w/ the car. My dad had a Saab come into his shop that would start spinning over by itself. Wouldnt start, just spin till it decided to stop. It was towed in on a wrecker late in the day and the driver dumped it off and stuck it in 1st gear. During the nite (like 1 AM) it spun over, drove (on the starter) across the parking lot, hit a BMW which stopped it, but the starter was still going. Or trying to rather. The wiring melted down and burned the Saab, the BMW, and 4 cars around it to the ground! The heat did damage to cars that were parked 4 spaces away. Needless to say, dad never did get a chance to look at the car to find out what was going on.

As far as your problem....Id say your right, sounds like a switch or relay sticking. Also, if its a standard, make SURE its in neutral when your working on it.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like your alarm (if you have one) may be freaking out on you.

I had an alarm do similar things to a friends car. (would continue to crank over even after shutting the key off) I ended up bypassing it for her and eventually she had the alarm removed.

I would take it in to an alarm shop 1st, to see if they can test it out. If that's not it, the solinoid (sp?) may be shorting out on you causing it to crank when the key is not in it.

Good luck,

Thomas.

4. speedy

speedy 1/2 ton status

Thanks so much for the advice Steve. As far as the alarm goes, i don't have one so I know its not that. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I have had a few people say it could be my cillinoid (sp?) I talked to some people today and they told me to check my fuel filter b/c their truck wouldn't start and it was the fuel filter. So i'm gonna check that tomorrow and if it's good to go, i've got a fuel pump lined up for me at John Deere. A friend of mine works there and told me he could get me one cheaper than $282. I was happy to hear that. He's getting it for me for $66. BIG DIFFERENCE! Let's just hope it's the fuel pump. That's what I've been told the most, so I'm going with that. thanks again for the help guys!

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Try taking off the fuel line and the with car in nuetural turn the key to the on position and see if you are getting any fuel out of the line just rig the line to stay in a can and turn the key then check your can.. that's my 2 cents..mike
    Also it does sound like the starter solinoid is staying engaged I don't know what the starter on the bmw's are like but if ya can just change the solinoid then that would be a good start.