Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Needing thread size for a sending unit - -**UPDATED with Tranny Temps**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Mar 13, 2003.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I need the thread size and type for B&M tranny temperature guage sending unit. Part number 80214. This is a replacement unit for the guage kit 80212. I am going to install another sending unit in my tranny in the pressure port right above the shift linkage and a switch to show temp before and after cooling. The pressure port is an 1/8" NPT. I need to know if I am going to need an adaptor.

[​IMG]

2. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Re: Needing thread size for a sending unit

I wish I had the answer to your question, but I don't have a 700r4.

My question to you is, where did you get that gauge? And did it come with the entire sending unit/plug? I've been searching around summit, jegs, etc. and can't seem to find out if the gauges come with the entire sending unit.

Sorry for the hijack.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i would suggest the pan. The port can give reading that are not indicitive of the true trans temps.

But this has been hashed out 100's of times....

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Here is the complete kit for $46.95 + Summit's $8 handling fee. This kit includes everything you need to install the sending unit in the to or from radiator tranny cooling line. Like ZAKK said, the placement of the sending unit has been covered a lot.
    [​IMG]

5. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell from the picture above the type of thread and possibly the size of the sending unit and or bushing?

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Dan, Unfortunately i cant answer your question, but im interested in seeing your results. (temp. results) So if you can maybe post them here after youve got it all figured out and have done some driving.
    Ive got a big-ass cooler on mine, and hardly ever see it above 160. Only on long long hauls does it get up to 180-195.

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Will do! Currently mine never goes over 170 degrees, but that's on the cool line back to the tranny and only if I'm in traffic. On road trips it never gets above 120-140. Just as an FYI, I've got the B&M 28,000lbs stacked plate cooler with both fittings pointing down. After I get the results of the before and after, I may turn the cooler on it's side, like others have done, and put the outlet on the top. This way it must force all the air out of the cooler and should cool more effeciently.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Hey Daniel, from the pics, those fitting look like 1/4" NPT, but I can't be sure.

John

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Hey John, thanks!
    What are you not sure about? The 1/4" or the NPT? Or both?
    I know it's hard if not impossible to tell the size and thread type from a picture.

10. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I've read up on all the differing opinions regarding where to put the temp gauge. I'm gonna go with the pan location in hopes of providing me with both a temp sensor and drain plug (I've heard the Hayden temp sensor works well for this).

From the looks of that setup above, it appears as if they provide the fittings for tapping into the return line, as well as a drain plug style for the pan. Can anyone confirm this? [Edit] Actually, in looking at the picture again, I don't think it does. I mistook the fitting that attaches to the "T" for a drain plug style.[/Edit]

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

From the look's of them, I'm pretty sure they're 1/4" NPT, but the thread pitch is almost impossible to tell with those pic's. When in doubt, I head to ACE hardware and go the plumbing isle and see what fits /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The thread size is 1/8" NPT. So it threaded directly into the pressure/temp port above the shifter linkage on a 700R4 - very easy install. I also installed a on-off-on switch to check both hot temps from the pressure port, and cooled temps from the return line from the cooler.

I did a little trail riding yesterday afternoon and these were my results driving at low speed with little air moving over the cooler:

Outside Air Temp: 75 degrees
    Pressure Port Temp: 160 degrees
    Cooled Temp from Cooler: 100 degrees