Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Needs new carbureator... or FI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ddragggon, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

my 73 K20 has the worlds worst carbureator stuck to it ( something by carter) that I need to get replaced, due to its complete unusability, over/under enrichment, flooding/leaning on left and right turns, and inability to run at any angle past about 8 degrees... I'm thinking possibly a new edlebrock Q-jet, or a holley pro-jection system ( since thats only a little more then a new Q-jet) anyone love/hate thier pro jection system? any problems with it? extranious mods that'll be needed? etc?

thankyou,
    -Rich

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't have any first hand experience with the pro-jection.......but i have seen quite a few people decide to run something else after trying to keep the Holley system happy and not having much luck.

Try a search using Holley Pro-jection as the key words and see what comes up.

Rene

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I would have to say if you are not retrofitting a factory fuel injection system then go with the qjet. q-jet is closest thing you can get to FI and is 90% as good anyway.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It all boils down to $$$$

I have the Howell TBI FI.
    Basically, this is the factory system with Holley's TBI fuel injectors.

Then there is the Holley PRO-Jection. I heard many horrible stories too. Here lately, I think Holley got their QA under control, and there new units should be good.

Next is TPI... $$$$$$$
    Factory
    Howell,
    Edelbrock,
    Accel.

I am sure there are others... those are the ones I am familiar with.

I went with the Howell unit, because it would be new...and if anything ever broke on a trail, I could go to NAPA, AutoZone or wherever and say I need an O2, MAF, or a TEMP sensor for a '87 - 91 Chevy truck... POOF they almost always have it in stock.
    I carry a spare fuel-pump, computer, chip, HEI module, and coil with me when I hit the trails.

5. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

stick with a carb if ya don't feel like puttin in a computer and all that stuff. and if ya stay with carb get the q-jet. the best out there. good luck. later.

jacob