Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

neeed heellllppppp

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ROCKBUGGYK5, Mar 27, 2001.

1. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

hey guys ive got a little problem, i keep breaking the centering pin on my driverside leafspring, it breaks on the trail and i lose steering due to the fact when i turn the wheel the axle just sides forward and back on the spring and the tire just goes where it wants, i made sure the u-bolts were tight the second time so i dont think thats what caused it, by the way it has a dana 60 frontend and 38.5s sxs with a lockright up front the springs our tufff country4 inch hds with ord shackles, so what is causing this and how can i keep it from happening again
    thanks
    adam

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Do you still have the leaf clamps on it? If not, that could be the problem. Other than that, I have no idea.

I gotta ask about a lock-rite (sp?) in a D60. I thought there was no such animal.? I’ve been told more than once that a full carrier LS or DL was the only option.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Loose u-bolts are the only thing I have ever seen do that. How new are the nuts? Do they have the nylon locking ring/is it old or used more than once? I'd get new ones! Steve

4. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

yes the do make a lockrite for a dana 60 anyplace will carry it, also im a litte guy i guess i didnt get them tight enuff because they are brand new u bolts, are yall sure theres nothing else that could cause this problem???????
    adam

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

For something as important as U-bolts, you really need to be using a torque wrench and not the "I think it's tight enough" method. If you're not torquing the nuts enough, that could have something to do with your breakage problems.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Are thre enuff threads on the u-bolts? That should be dead space and have no movement.

Twiztid

7. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

Use an allen bolt to replace the pin i think it was 3/8" shank with a 1/2" head i had to do this to one of mine, seems to be a stronger bolt.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>