Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nepotism-Have you dealt with it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Swanson52, May 14, 2003.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any workplace nepotism issues? I am dealing with some right now, and am curious how others have handled it. My workplace is small (~25 employees), with only 2 people in the marketing department; myself and the boss' wife. The boss (television station GM) has virtually no one to answer to-the parent station/company is in Rapid City, SD, which is 3 plus hours away. This cat operates of his own volition, all the time. Well, I have been getting BLASTED about job performace lately, whilst his wife reaps the benefits of a lazy desk job. I have proven, on paper, that my performace is on par, and hers is significantly reduced versus this time last year. I have been raked for not making it 40 per week (last 2 weeks I have been in the office before he shows, leave after he goes-approx 50-55 hours per week), she consistently rolls in about 10 and leaves no later than 4, been leaving at noon at least 1 day per week the last month. I have endured personal after business hours attacks (incidentally while I was at the office and they had gone home). Under most other circumstances, I would say screw it and quit, but I get paid well, and there are ZERO job opportunities for me in this region. What would YOU do?

My first inclination is to kick his teeth down his throat, and this has been pondered at length by myself and deemed inappropriate and thus not an option. Open to other suggestions, though. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is his wife's lazyness the reason you are getting kicked in the sack?

I personally would take one of two approches. (not that you should take my advice as I haven't delt with much "real world" job stuff yet)

#1. Call his punk ass wife out for being f*ckin lazy and not pulling her share of the load.

#2. Fight back with evidence whenever you think is absolutely necessary, but just deal with it the rest of the time.

My dad has been dealing with his boss for 20 years. He is a nutcase. He lives in his own little world and is somewhat delutional. So he just takes what he must and gets heated when he has too. He then just does whatever needs to be done to get the job done behind his bosses back. He really doesn't run the place like he thinks. My dad does.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

To some extent. We have three brothers that all work here. I had the great pleasure a couple of years back of being able to write Nonconformance Reports on all three in a single day (I'm an inspector).I called it the "Triple Crown". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif As far as you carrying your load, and her not, document everything! Statistics don't lie. Do anything and everything to CYA (cover your A$$).

John

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Only advice I can give you is DO NOT say anything derogatory about the wife. You will not win. If you try to put the wife down you will lose. Never get inbetween family. Blood is thicker than your job. Trust me on this one.

Just keep doing your job the best you can and if you come across something else in the future, take it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Corporate office might be curious about this. Yes, he acts on his own, but do they sign his checks?

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Remember, nepotism is relative.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Start sleeping with the wife...... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

If she was hot, I would consider it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Nepotism is always tough when there is little to no oversight. As a biz consultant, I always approach taking on clients with family owned businesses with hesitation, for the reasons you list.

As an employee, with basically another employee as a boss, you do have some options with corporate, but as was said before, it starts with documenting everything (and not just he said she said) and doing a fair amount of CYA.

Once you start the war, you could lose. You could also win. If you can amass enough objective data to cover yourself, then I would first try to provide your boss with objective data (copies) showing that his accusations against you are incorrect. Then if it doesn't let up, send a letter with all the objective data (copies, you always keep originals) to his boss or their HR department detailing what has occurred, keeping your letter very factual with no emotion involved. Then if there are repercussions from anything corporate does to the boss, you keep sending reports of the abuse, always keeping copies. This is not about attacking the wife, only disproving what you are being accused of doing.

If the issue is always about how much time you are putting in, buy a time clock yourself and use it. Then give the guy the timecard copies. You can always use the timeclock data in any reports to corporate.

Corporate may or may not have any issues with your boss right now, but they sure hate to see employees not working, and they hate worse to see a potential wrongful dismissal case against their company when they didn't even know abuses were occurring. So your letters accompanied by evidence would be eventually considered. Actually a copy of your letters sent to their corporate attorney works well if you can't get anyone else to listen.

10. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Just think, if you get him and his ol' lady in hot water, what kind of hell you will have to pay then! Who else would they blame for the sudden investigation of wrong doing, YOU. Atleast when they fired you, you would have evidence for your case of wrongful termination. Or the corporate office might finally see the light and just close down the whole operation. You never know, and no one else, what will happen when a can of worms like that gets opened.

Ride it out, pay your bills, feed your family, and FIND another job ASAP. That is a lose-lose situation. Basically the wife is above you no matter what her job title is or the hours she puts in, b/c she is sleeping with the boss. Beaver is thicker than anything, always was and always will be. Good Luck.

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

... and this is what I fear most about moving to california and working for my grandfather... last thing I want to hear is "oh, you're just getting promoted because you're the owners grandson" or anything like that. for anyone who doesn't know my grandfather, they should learn one thing about him: he's probably more likely to fire me for poor performance than anyone else, mainly because he has much higher expectations of me then anyone else.

if I'd had it my way, ( and from what I can tell he'd had it his way) no one would have known my relation to him... unfortunately, one of the office ladies has let everyone know who I am, and that I'll probably become a manager... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

with luck, I'll be able to do this thing, and do it right, without screwing everything up, or breaking the family business.

-Rich

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I gotta agree with everyone that says avoid badmouthing or pointing a finger at the wife. Even if the boss was very fairminded and inclined to investigate his wife's work, it can turn sour quick.

Cover your own arse and stay on top of the game, but avoid any negative sentiment or accusation towards someone else.

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Rich,

People will say what they will. There will always be someone around who will believe you are getting charity because you are a relative. Just don't let it be true and things will be OK.

14. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ride it out, pay your bills, feed your family, and FIND another job ASAP. That is a lose-lose situation. Basically the wife is above you no matter what her job title is or the hours she puts in, b/c she is sleeping with the boss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. The only issue I have with finding another job is relocation. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif My local area doesn't have much need for marketing consultants...

Good advice, I appreciate everyone's ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I hear you, brother. Plus you got a slumping economy to go up against. I just had to move a couple of months ago to keep my job. Didn't really like my new boss at the time that was asking me to move, but the bill collectors really don't give a sh^t about that. I had to bite the bullet and go on about my business. Atleast they paid to move all my crap for me.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My local area doesn't have much need for marketing consultants...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure a certain football team needs some help /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

Seriously though, I haven't had to deal with on the job, there's just a couple of jobs I can't get because of it.