Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nerf bars

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hans_de_Wilt, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Hans_de_Wilt

Hans_de_Wilt Registered Member

I want to make my own nerfbars but I have a question. I saw some nerfbars on a K5 and they gave me some ideas of how to make mine but, I own a K30 and because it's a Pick-Up if I go offroad and my frame twists there is a lot of difference between the cabin and the cargo area. (I think about 3-4") Do I have to make two seperate bars on each side or can I make it from one piece and only connect it to the frame at the both far ends of the bar?
    Does anybody have pictures or ideas?

Thanks, Hans

www.home.zonnet.nl/chevy4x4

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Because of the difference in body flex between the cab and box, I would recommend going with a two-piece setup. Most truck running boards are two piece for the same reason......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

actually most running boards on pick up are 2 pc because they bolt to the body not the frame.
    now most nerf bars bolt to the frame correct? atleast all the ones i have been looking at recently do. so if it bolts to the frame why would you need a 2 pc? i know i'm looking at a new z71 ext cab in the neighbors driveway right now that has a 1 pc nerf bar on it.

my question is does anyone make a polished aluminum nerf bar, or if they did what would be the weight savings over the steel ones? just curious cause when i put the 35's on my blazer i had to lose the running boards and i'm thinking of replacing them with nerf bars.
    tha aluminum boards i took off are pretty darn light, what do those steel nerfs weigh?

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Aluminum nerfs would be lighter than the steel ones. Although the steel they use for nerfs is pretty light guage...both are useless IMHO. As a step they are too high on the truck, I usually end up smacking my shins on em. As body protection they are worse, usually they bend up and hit the body. Most nerfs stick out so far they grab obstacles that the truck would miss without them. I prefer a rock slider thats tucked in close to the body and mounted to the frame and the body...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I agree about the "usefulness" of a nerf bar- I have them on mine, and they are more for my "help" getting in the truck- when I have to toss the 4 and 5 year old in the back etc.. they definetly pi** off John (who is 6") and hits his shins on them... I don't really think they stick out too far though- never looked at my truck from behind.. Mine are made out of the same stuff that they have in front of gas pumps- the upsidedown U you see -- thats the stuff- What ever it is. I know they are heavy thats for sure!

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Wow John is barely shorter then Rene @ 6" tall! [​IMG]

I had a set of nerfs that came with my truck... took them off because they got a dent from a not so bad hit... a tree stump mashed it and I was like ok, tree stumps are hard but not rocks.... I think if it was a rock it would have been finished. I remember at Hollister the folks with the Durango in the group had the new nerfs that got mashed right away... I think if you plan to wheel it in anything where it could be struck, then go rock sliders... otherwise they will end up all twisted and purty!!

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Wow John is barely shorter then Rene @ 6" tall!

<hr></blockquote>

Not nice to kiss and tell Steph...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Actually, most running boards on pickups are bolted to the frame.........How do I know that? Well, I've owned half a dozen pickups in my life(including the 83 GMC that I presently own)- they've all had running boards and they've ALL been attached at the frame AND the wheel wells. My K5 has running boards and they are installed the same way.

If you've ever driven a pickup on even slightly uneven ground you can definitely see the difference in flex between the cab and the box. One piece boards would warp in a heartbeat.

With nerf bars, depending on how much clearance you have between the rocker panel and the bar, there is a chance that the different flex of the body and the box might cause a one piece to rub.......

That's what I was trying to say.......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>