Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nerf bars????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hawglet, Jan 9, 2003.

1. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know of anywhere that I can find a GOOD set of nerf bars(step bars) that are fairly strong? I'm looking for a set around the $125 to $175 range. All the local places think that they are worth almost $400 for chrome 3" tubes, I'm thinking not, maybe stainless but not chrome. Any help would be greatly appriecated. Thanks.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I can just about guarrantee that any of those Nurfs made out of tube at that price will cause more damage to your truck if you come donw on them hard than if you didn't have them.
    Talk to butch at 4x4iron.com have him fab up a set of nurfs that will have some bump stops or bushing mounts under the body. Look in the forsale section. Toybox4x4 is going out of buisness and had some Nurfs like I describe for sale I hear

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

There are a ton a fabricators out there who can make you a set of rock sliders to suite your needs for about that price. Those chrome ones off the shelf are good for the street, and thats about it.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yes, everybody talks about how weak regular nerf bars are and how much better the "rock slider" style is. However, who sells them ? All I have seen is the kind that require cutting or complete removal of the rocker panels. So what other option is there?

Some of us have to get a wife and kids into the truck without redneck approaches like the milk-crate step that I have used from time to time. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yes a nerf bar sacrifices ground clearance, but anything that doesn't gives little help with ingress and egress for the family.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I sent you a PM. I agree with the family considerations. Due to my 7" overall lift I over extended my rock sliders to help with the getting in and out, as well as push the cab away from rocks and to the side of the tires. I'm sure what your after is not quite as extreme as I have gone but pushing them out / down in the right places makes all the difference for the family.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Smittybilt has some good frame-mounted nerfbars. If they don't require you to drill your frame then the nerfbars are junk. The ones that hook to your body mounts are junk. The ones that bolt to your rockers are doubly junk.

My Dad has a pair on his 89 pickup and they're nice. I can jump up and down on them. 5 years old now and the paint on the leading edges of the tubes are all bubbled but not flaking yet. I think he paid $200 for them from Summit.

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I think I got my Smitty built for about 150.00 here in Denver. Have worked great for me so far!!

8. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

don't laugh- but here's what is on my truck-

A local company here, makes culverts, and also the big upside down U shaped things that guard gaspumps from being run into..you know the ones- with flashy yellow paint on them...well ....

They made a set of steps for my truck- it's about a 5 inch diameter solid tube. It's an elongated U shape- VERY similar to the "nerf" style tube steps...the only difference is I don't have the grippy stuff on the top of them. They are mounted to my frame, 4 bolts each side..John is about 280, and they hold him jumping (I almost killed him when I saw him doing this)...they work great for getting the kids in and out, and even for me to climb into the cab...Also for others that aren't use to getting in a rig with 7" overall lift. Again, I'm not an off-road fanatic, so they won't get bashed by a rock etc... but they were $30 for the set... pretty cool if ya ask me!

Brandy

9. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

mine are welded on, you can have them, if you want to weld them. they are welded to the frame and very strong.
    www.cardomain.com/id/bowtiered has pics

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Hey, whatever works. I can't say I've ever seen the stuff. All the ones in Michigan that I've seen are either pipe, pipe filled with concrete, or railroad tracks. The fire hydrant I park next to is guarded with railroad tracks. The city is the one that put my parking spot there, not me.

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I talked to my Dad about an hour ago. I guess he got them for $99 from Summit on a half off sale. He said he used his "Summit bucks" and got them for even less. I forgot about Summit bucks. I remember Cabelas used to do the same thing, I wonder if they still do.