Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

nerf bars

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i am looking for they type of nerf bars that extend from the front wheel to the rear. like a think around 78 inches. and chrome.
    not the ones that are only under the door. and my question is where is the best place on the internet to get these.
    as in which is the least expensive. thanks

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Offhand I dont think they have a listing for those. They are mostly vehicle specific. If you can measure out the distance between the fullsize chevy trucks( 81-87 ) that have extended or crew cabs it might fall into what you want. After that you can find a cross reference part # to fit from the mainstream companies. My only question/pitfall is the difference in frame configuration, with saddle bag tanks and all. Other than that you might want to see if you can custom make your own and have them chrome dipped. I personally like stainless vs.chrome. I hope this helps out.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about putting the same thing on mine. Has anyone found a set of these that will fit the K-5? I'd like to find same thing for my F-150 too so I can use them as a step for the bed. Seems like everything turns back in at the rear of the cab. Figure if I'm going to put some on the vehicles I want to get the most out of them.

Smitty

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I got mine at a local parts house called Vic Hubbard, they ordered them from Smittybuilt. I don't remember what I paid for them.....sorry

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

5. Confederate9

offroad connection that place has the long ones for 203$ for chrome. im thinking thats the best place to get em.
    any one else got ne sugestions?

Confederate's w/ K5's!

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

How do you get there from here???

Smitty

7. Confederate9

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Looks like they have both the short and the long ones. Only problem is that the long ones only come in chrome and I'd rather have stainless or painted. Seems like chrome turns to rust the first time you scrape it. You can touch up the painted ones and have less to worry about with the stainless (except that the stainless always seem to be thinner).

Thanks for the info.

Smitty

9. K5Mudbug

K5Mudbug Registered Member

I saw some kind in Petersons I think that welded to the frame at like 6 different spots, the cam around the body 6 or so inches with room for the door to open. I think they was called bogger bars or something, They looked rather sturdy too, It was a whole article on them.

2000 S-10 ZR2, in process of getting a 88 K5 with a 6 inch lift and 35s

10. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

I seen a ad for some grizzley bars that i wanted because they came down just a little further than the rest. I havnt seen them since and i have been looking off and on. I know im gonna run into a clearance problem whn i go wheelin with this set up ....... but maybe i can rig some sort of pull pin system ?????? gonna hafta look into that ......... before you think im a wimp and cant climb into my truck ....... i have a few female friends that have a hard time climbing in and out in skirts ....... i keep tellin them i dont mind helping them in but........ they feel they are "too fat" for me to be lifting them in there....... why did they ever invent those nurf bars anyway?

Bigger is Better [​IMG]
    Channing74

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WELDING ON FRAME BAD BAD BAD IDEA

NEVER WELD ON THE FRAME UNLESS CRACKED!
    The frames on our trucks are tempered and if you weld on them you are creating a place that can crack. ( for the person who commented to weld on)
    As for bolt on tube Nurfs. If you don't wheel and just going for looks, fine have at it.
    If you buying these with the idea they will protect the truck, forget it. I have as yet to see a set that will. Most will end up damaging the truck if the weight of the truck lands on them. They will slam into the rockers and bend them. The steel in the tub is thin and they will fold if they hit a rock. The frames on our truck will flex so they have to be solidly suported under the cab to do any good.
    If your looking for protection get the ones Steve has on his truck. He has a write up on the main page. They are made to order and if you want them to extend for a step that should be no problem. can't get them in chrome but personaly I don't care for chrome. It rusts quick, can't be economicly repaired (hay a can of paint is $3 bucks re chroming is a lot more) and looks gaudy to me (personal opinion) The only thing I like to see shine is grills door handles and wheels.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

12. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Re: WELDING ON FRAME BAD BAD BAD IDEA

anyone know if any company's make thenm for a 1st gen. I want some bad and was finally resorting to making them. thanx for the help!

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

13. Confederate9

Re: WELDING ON FRAME BAD BAD BAD IDEA

grim~ no worries, i wasnt gonna get them for protection, strictly for looks.
    but those are on the agenda after new tires. im gonna get some new tires in the near future.
    ====
    as for 1st generation nerf bars, im not sure but try offroadconnection.com they have a large selection

Confederate's w/ K5's!

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

There is a guy I know that made some pretty awesome ones for his truck. They are tubes, with some black diamond plate welded on top of them, they are bolted to the frame. They are really strong and look awesome. If you have access to a welder and a tube bender, thats the way to go IMHO.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

15. Confederate9

hmm diamond plate sounds sweet!
    i might take some that i buy then modify them.
    sounds pretty sweet to me!

Confederate's w/ K5's!