Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nerf Bars

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I'm not into rocks, so that's not a big concern. Now here is the concern, I'm close to 300lbs, and you guessed it, out of shape. (Although round is a shape.) Anyways, with a 6" lift and stock tires, I almost can't climb into my truck. I have some 36" Ground Hawg's in the shed. Can anyone recomend a good nerf bar, or something to help my fatass climb up into my truck once the 36's go on.

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Maybe one of those electric drop down steps. Put one on a rescue truck not long ago and it works pretty well.

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

get a tread mill /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but really pep boys as some (not nerf bars though) just a 12 inch wide step that drops down about 6-8 inches that bolts right up, a buddy of mine had them on a 87 K10 w/ 6 inches and 35s and it helped a lot getting in or out

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

make sure they mount to the frame and not the pinch welds.. you could make your own custom ones that dropped down farther than regular off the shelf nerf bars too, if it makes it easier..

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    get a tread mill

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But I don't have room for one, I live in a trailer house.

6. Confedneck

put it outside.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Nerfs are kind of pricey if you don't need them. If you like the looks, that's cool. I use simple steps (I call them hooks, cause they hook your leg if you're not careful.) They are cheaper, and work fine with my 32" tires.

Steel Steps

8. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    put it outside.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not very nice. People don't just wake up one morning and say "Gee, I finally realized what I'm going to do with my life: I'm going to be fat." That's not something that happens. As long as he likes Blazers, he's ok with me.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    put it outside..

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not very nice. People don't just wake up one morning and say "Gee, I finally realized what I'm going to do with my life: I'm going to be fat." That's not something that happens. As long as he likes Blazers, he's ok with me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    k5guy.. no harm was intended, was telling him to put the treadmill outside, in fact i even offered up an idea to him in a previous post.. anyways.. back to the nerf bars thing..
    autozone sells some pretty decent aluminum steps (hoops) that bolt to the pinch weld, but i weigh 165 and stood on a set on a bronco and they moved a bit.. maybe some reinforcement would help with that, maybe our trucks arent as weak as broncos when it comes to pinch welds..

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

k5guy...he was just playing around lol..paul knows its all in fun lol, non of us are USUALLY serious when we pick jokes at each other here lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    maybe our trucks arent as weak as broncos

[/ QUOTE ]

and you JUST figured that one out!!?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    maybe our trucks arent as weak as broncos

[/ QUOTE ]

and you JUST figured that one out!!?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    lol jerk ive never stood on the same kinda steps on one of our trucks.. by the way, ever get that tps mounted up?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    by the way, ever get that tps mounted up??

[/ QUOTE ]

uuuwmmm /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif lol..its not even back on the ground yet lol /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i still gatta come up with a couple screws for it..i know...im one slow lazy ass /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Stay away from the ones with plastic steps cause those will break apart once you start getting any kind of body flex. Also, you have to study nerf bars because some of them are so close to the body that they are unusable.

Basically to get a fully functional nerf bar that will be everything you need custom is the only way to go.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Stay away from the ones with plastic steps cause those will break apart once you start getting any kind of body flex. Also, you have to study nerf bars because some of them are so close to the body that they are unusable.

Basically to get a fully functional nerf bar that will be everything you need custom is the only way to go.

[/ QUOTE ] I was thinking that. I just want the black tube type bars. I want them attached to the frame, not the body, so maybe I need to get a local welder too make a set for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I would have a set made its cheaper unless you get them from ebay thier is a guy outa TN that sells the black ones for around 50 a set the best thing would be to make them with 1.5 DOM or bigger if you want I used left overs tubing from the roll gage then you can take a 2x2 box and weld a step to it and after your in the truck take it off the nerf bars or just do what I did on my old mud truck 2 eye bolts threw the floor with a chain conected to each one to use as a setep and its flex able so you never have to worry abought denting it or catching it on any thing.

18. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Actually if it is a step and only gets downward force bolting to the pinchweld is fine and allows you to run lighter brackets from the frame. A friend of mine has a jeep cherokee (unibody) with sliders bolted to the frame and pinch weld and he had dropped it on rocks pretty hard with no ill effects. Now if you are talking slider rather than just a step then heavy steel bolted to the frame is a must, but doing that for a step is overkill.

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Actually if it is a step and only gets downward force bolting to the pinchweld is fine and allows you to run lighter brackets from the frame. A friend of mine has a jeep cherokee (unibody) with sliders bolted to the frame and pinch weld and he had dropped it on rocks pretty hard with no ill effects. Now if you are talking slider rather than just a step then heavy steel bolted to the frame is a must, but doing that for a step is overkill.

[/ QUOTE ] To be honest, it's mostly to help my fatass get up in the truck, but added body protection for those rare occations I do get in the rocks would be nice. I'm thinking about 1 or 2 inches lower then the T-case. Defently bolted to the frame. Gotta talk to a local welder and see how much to build a custom set for me.

20. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

hehe I know the feeling. In that case I would build some sliders out of 2"x2" thick wall square steel rather than round tubing. Then on top of the slider you can use some grip tape or herculiner it for a non slip surface to step on.