Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NerfBar/Step

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ShinnyHelmet, Oct 4, 2001.

1. ShinnyHelmet

ShinnyHelmet Registered Member

I have a 71 K5 w/ a 4" lift, 33" tires and was thinking about putting on a nerf bar or some kind of step. Anybody have any idea's or pictures. Thanks

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Okay, nobody makes nerf bars for first gen blazers.
    One guy here made some steps work on his blazer...

I bought some smittybuilt chrome '73 up K/5 Blazer nerf bars, and modified them to work on my '72 K/5.
    Modifications to make them work include: Cutting the end of the nerf bar mounting plate off a couple of inches, and grinding or cutting some 1/2" wide slots in the rocker boxes under the floor. Also drilling 4 holes per side.
    I have pic's and info at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=3>http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsofryansblazer.msnw?Page=3</a>
    Let me know if theres anything else I can answer.

Ryan

3. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Why won't the nerf bars in the LMC catalog work?

4. Ryan B.

The nerf bars in the LMC catalog are only for Trucks last time I checked...

I didn't want these type of steps with the rubber step in the nerf bar. I wanted just a chrome tube with the diamond plate step.
    If you got those ones from LMC, it would probally save you the work of cutting off the front mounting point on the other '73 up nerf bars and having to drill a couple new holes...
    But remember those rocker boxes, that are different between the Chevy trucks (trucks don't have em) and Blazers. You'll still probally have to cut a slot in the rocker boxes for the nerf's.

If you spent quite some time with a grinder on the mounting point of the nerf bars, it looks like it is possible that you wouldn't have to cut a slot in the rocker boxes.

It is hard to say for sure untill you have a set and can fit them up to your blazer. I went to 4wheel parts wholesalers and ordered the '73 up nerf bars, and when they came in I told them that I'd only buy them if I can take em out of the box and hold them up to my blazer and see if they'll fit.

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

correct me if I"m wrong but I don't believe the trucks have rocker boxes like the blazers do. The boxes are put on blazers to help with rigidity because of the removable top. I think I"m gonna build some like I saw over on the other forum.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

6. Ryan B.

100% correct.
    I don't know if my wording was bad or if it was mis read, but thats why I said the truck nerfs might not fit is because you'd still have to cut a slot in the rocker boxes on the Blazer, because trucks don't have the rocker boxes.

7. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

I've asked Ryan about these before and I thought the way he did it was the only and probably the best way. How did they do it on the other forum? What other forum? I am interested in doing something like Ryan, but I'd like to see all of the options.