Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NERFS or NOTHING ? also- front frame shackle bushing q?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Jul 18, 2002.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I got the chance to get free nerf bars that weld on to the frame. They are good shape and all---So here's the question.....Nerfs or nothing ? I'm only planning mild wheeling for my truck because it is my main vehicle. And my rockers are brand new so i don't want to cut them out or crush them. So are nerf bars better than nothing protection wise ?

Also, does the front frame shackle bushing have metal sleeves in it or not ? Energy suspension sent me metal sleeves with the bushings but i thought i saw somebody write that those sleeves didn't come factory.. ?

THanks
    Blake

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes, I would say Nerfs are better then nothing. I have a set of cheesy running boards on my truck, and they have saved my rockers from alot of abuse. I kind of use them for a feeler guage, and as protection. My running boards have been beat back into shape many time after smacking them on rocks and such. My rockers are still pretty straight because of my boards. I don't care about the boards much (parents don't want me to take them off so they can still get in my truck easy) and am waiting for an obstical to rip them off, or rock sliders. Hopefully the rock sliders are coming soon. Like next check. Especially with the new 4.56's and lockers I am putting on. the boards won't stand a chance.

As for the front shackle frame bushing. If you are refering to the shackles at the rear of your front springs then yes there is supposed to be a sleeve with the bushing.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I think that all of the spring and shackle bushings on the truck have metal sleeves in them.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if they are free, why not. Only issue I can forsee being a problem is if they arent properly installed you could weaken the frame... or alternatively, when you take them off someday you might do the same. Assuming you *know* how to weld, or are having a pro do it, I don't see a problem.

J