Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

net admin crap: pulling cable in the new building

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ddragggon, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, I've spent the last 3 days over at our new building pulling new cable around through the ceilings, and walls. good god, its a pain in the ass, since the previous occupants dumped a crapload of insulation up in the cielings, walls, etc, but I've got about 3/4 of the lines run now. with any luck, I'll be able to finish most of it tomorrow, but I've got to get more cable, and another punchdown panel for the main rack to finish it... but other then that, its almost done.

oh well. I'm too tired to think right now, and I gotta get to bed soon ( yeah, its only 530)

-Rich

2. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

My sympathies, used to run wire for alarm systems and remodelling jobs. Always wanted to try an idea for pulling wire above those pesky drop-ceilings. Wanted to get a radio-controlled 4wd truck and tie the wire to the back of it...then put it up in the ceiling and drive it to where the wire needs to go. Would have to drive it by sound and have to avoid the drop-hangers, but I always HATED to move the ladders and drop-panels a jillion times.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Have you guys ever used telescoping poles? We ran some fiber a while back in one of my offices that way. We had 3 or 4 bends total, so we put this pole in the starting point with the cable on the end of it, and just kept telescoping until we hit the bend. I even just use a broom stick sometimes. It opens up a lot less tile...

Hey Rich, did you get my email about wireless stuff?

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

yeah, I jsut got the email on wireless... we will have 2 wireless points in the building, for the salesmen to use when they come in, and for QC guys to roam around the shop area freely. unfortunately, the customer service reps, and tech support reps located in the 2 story `mezzanine' area need to have giant chunks of bandwidth for thier database access, so I've had to run them lines for each computer. I've finished all but 3 drops in that area, and a few other in the rest of the building.

fortunately, the part where I had to run 28 cables through had some real walls nearby for me to stand along inside the roof ( much easier to go up a tile, then walk around the wall edges of these semi real walls, then chucking through tiles) I got the cables all taped into one giant snake unbelical, and pulled them in the first hole, draged them around the least number of obstacles I possibly could, slid them through the main firewall ( a real firewall, as in 4 ply sheetrock thick, with about a 10 inch airgap in the middle) then to get them to the server room, I coiled the roll up, got a good swing and chucked the giant bundle for the hole... almost got it, and was close enough to reach it with the broom handle of Doom. on top of hte pre exsitant network, ( about 50 lines total, to the main rack, and a secondary junction box on the far side of the building) I've added 6 boxes of wire ( 6000 feet... oooo ) and I've still got to wire up the shop zone area... so, about a dozen more pulls in the office area, and a bunch of open air pulls out back, and I can call it pretty much done.

I give it perhaps 3 days, if I'm not interrupted... and since I know I'm going to be conscripted to work on the gantry crane system again tomorrow, probably another 2 weeks....

in other news, as I mentioned, we're building giant gantry rolling cranes for the shop... they'll be pretty damn cool when they're done, although right now all it looks like are a few metal pillars welded to baseplates, bolted/epoxyed to the floor, and a 400 Lbs I-Beam hanging between 2 of them.... oh well, I go and sleep now.

-Rich