Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

network card adapter question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Jan 25, 2006.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my internet has been REALLY SLOW, it got to the point that it wouldn't load anything. i went on my dads comp and his is fast as it always was. so i rebooted my comp and the router, and nothing. then i checked the network connections, the local area conection 4 (the network) was working and i could get onto my dads and moms computers. the 1394 conection showed that it was connected and working, but nothing was sent or recieved in 40+ minutes of trying anything.
    so i put my 10/100 network card that i have here in and plug the cable to it and it works great, alot faster than it has been in the past few weeks, but slower than it used to be.

the 1394 connection showed the connection speed as 400mbps, and the 10/100 network card shows 100mbps. the speed test at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ shows Communications 366.1 kilobits per second
    Storage 44.7 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 22.9 seconds
    Subjective rating Not bad

my question is, is there a network card that is faster than 100mbps? the 1394 connection is part of the motherboard and i don't really want to get another one, but ive been planning on upgrading the processor, so i might as well do the motherboard while im at it.

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

There are faster network cards - but you'll probably not be able to find an internet connection that will be faster than the 10/100 card you have.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

thats probably true, i went and tested my dads comp on the speed test and his was 356.6kbps. it just seems slower than his and mine a few months ago. ill just live with it.