Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Networking quistion on XP to 98

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gokartergo, Jul 14, 2002.

1. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Anybody able to run XP on one computer and windows 98 on a peir to pier network... I couldn't get it to work???? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Me neither, ended up putting xp on both.

3. gokartergo

That's what I am finally doing.. But the other computer is the bare min. For XP. 266 processor.. It is my daughters computer and I wanted to network so she could use the DSL.. This is really getting to be a pain.. I am installing XP on it know..But it is taking a while..

4. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I know the feeling. I put it on my old 300 and it took FOREVER. I didn't think it would ever finish.

5. gokartergo

I'm going on a hour just to load it.. It loaded in like 15 minutes on my P4..LOL

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I think it took me close to 2 hours with office and all that fun stuff.

7. gokartergo

I got it up and running..Pain in the arse and a new XP bought..Dan /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What is the issue? I was reading somewhere that you have to make a few manual changes to the registry to get them networked together fairly decently. It was rather weird, it had to do wtih the way XP shares printers and XP scans 98 to see if it shares printers and this ends up hanging... etc.. At least thats what I remember reading. So what exactly is the problem your having?

9. gokartergo

Niether one of them would see each other in the network..I upgraded the windows 98 computer to XP and it works fine..Dan

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Peer to Peer networking works great between Windows98 and XP but there are a few things that have changed.

<ul type="square">
    [*]Windows XP Home edition does not support Domain authentication. Since you are just setting up a Peer to Peer network this should not present a problem. If you DO want to setup a domain you will need to purchase XP Professional.

[*]Windows XP does not support NetBUEI. You need to make sure you are using TCP/IP rather than NetBEUI as a transport protocol. This is not a big deal, you just have to assign IP addresses to each machine.
    [/list]

Other than that, networking is pretty much the same in both OS's.

Hope this helps. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. crithke

crithke Registered Member

i've got an xp box, two win95 boxes, and a linux box all networked together

as soon as you have the internet working with them all through a router of sorts, that's the first step.

check the workgroup name(make sure they're the same), as different versions of windows gave different names as the standard. double check the ips on the machines to make sure that the router didn't hand out duplicate ips (i've seen it happen...routers are dumb) and after that it's a matter of filesharing/printsharing or whatever else you want to do. it's also a good idea to reboot both the modem, router, and pcs for some reason. the only problem i've had with networking dif windows versions is when using 2 or more routers together at once.

ALSO, a biggy....you DO need to log into win95/98 where the lil logon box pops up when you boot up and you always click cancel. Just make up a name and password and always log in with it. If you don't login, the pc will not be able to access the network...