Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Nevada smog check requirements?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sr175, Mar 31, 2004.

1. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

I am currently building up a 79 3/4 ton truck with 350 and plan on registering it in Washoe county in Nevada. Does anyone out there know of any good resources to find out what I will need to pass?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Washoe county just does the idle sniffer test. They test all vehicles made after 1968
    You just need the OEM smog equipment. Whatever came orginally on the truck that the emissions tag under the hood says it should have.
    You only need smog tests in washoe and Clarck counties. The rest of the state is smog exempt.
    Here's the state smog page.http://www.dmvnv.com/emission.htm#General

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have no idea about the smog, but I wanted to let ya know that I live in Fallon. You in Reno? SeventyK5 is in Fallon too, and Aztec77 is in Reno /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. JP's K5

JP's K5 Registered Member

Its more than just an idle test. You will need to keep all of the original smog equipment that was on the vehicle or it will fail. They do an idle test and a 2500 rpm test. Ive been trying to find the exact regs. on engine swaps and still have no luck! Its a pain! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

Just be glad you don't live in California.

6. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping not to have to go to what was stock. All the smog was ripped out during a engine swap. Wont be fun getting back. Currently headers and no smog stuff to be found. Truck was owned by guy in CA in one of the rare smog exempt counties. Only smog when register and they never look again. I understood that in washoe they check at idle and at higher rpm and only checked for co2 and co. Just wasn't sure if, like CA, the original smog stuff had to be there. Thanks for all the real fast response. I am new here and these forums rock getting help and lots of info.

7. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

I live in Clark County and don't have any smog equipment on my '76. I have a 350, headers, glasspacks, Holley Truck Avenger carb. I went to a place that you pay the fees on the first test and if you fail retests are free. First time it failed on the 2,500 RPM part. The tech adjusted the mixture screws for me. He made the mixture lean until it would hardly idle. On the second test it passed with plenty of room to spare.

Does an EGR fall into the smog equipment category? I know my rig had one before I did my swap and the tech never said anything about it missing. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I live in Clark County and don't have any smog equipment on my '76. I have a 350, headers, glasspacks, Holley Truck Avenger carb. I went to a place that you pay the fees on the first test and if you fail retests are free. First time it failed on the 2,500 RPM part. The tech adjusted the mixture screws for me. He made the mixture lean until it would hardly idle. On the second test it passed with plenty of room to spare.

Does an EGR fall into the smog equipment category? I know my rig had one before I did my swap and the tech never said anything about it missing. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Some techs look the other way and some are reall PITA
    I was lucky to have one that was more concerned about the sniffer than the visual.
    He looked the other way on some things. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

I know I was lucky to have a tech that was cool like that. The craziest part of it all. I tried to give the guy a $40 tip, he refused it about 10 times before I left. If I remember right, the total invoice was for 28 bucks and some change. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. sr175

sr175 Registered Member

My dad actually lives in reno and I in CA. I dont want to bother here in ca for obvious reasons. I too have headers, new weiand intake(non smog legal of course), holley carb. His experience whe he brings in his 78 dodge van is pay the guy a few bucks and a few minutes its ready. The guy throws in the tail pipe thing does the 2 tests and is done. Like one person here said. Some are pricks and others are not. Would be nice to find a place in reno where there are cool guys. I think I will just give a shop a try and bring the truck in. It would be nice to be prepared before bringing it in.