Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Never assume something is what it should be.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 22, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Long story... but it boils down to always pull the diff covers to be sure what the gear ratio it is (yes, I know... everyone knows this already).

Just when you see tags and stickers that indicate a certain ratio, and drive the truck and it feels like it has that ratio, you would assume that it is that ratio. And it would be... unless you are me.

So it all boils down to... for me at least, never assume. Now I need to go find 4.56 gears for a 14 bolt and Dana 60 after I though I had them already. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..and speacially in these old trucks..i always check it myself anyway cuase u dunno if the rear ends or w/e have been swapped out befor or what..i found that the rear end from my 85 k5 i had was from an 86 that way...

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

So how bad is it? 3.42's? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Prolly 4.10's if he drove it and it felt like 4,56's. I can't imagine it being farther off than that.

Rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have you seen this dude's website? He's got Chevy truck HEAVEN in his backyard, a bunch of really nice rigs, and he's complaining? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Granted it sucks to think you've got 4.56s and only have 4.10s or something, but damn dude, with as many really nice rigs as you've got with big blocks and 4 speeds, I wouldn't complain a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. mountainexplorer

Dont worry, Im not complaining. More like kicking myself because I should know better by now. They were 4.10s instead of 4.56s.

Had I been smart I would have verified everything for sure before doing some axle swaps and ending up with a 4.56 front and 4.10 rear in my Truck Blazer. No wonder I snapped my front driveline at the last mud race. Stupid me.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You know, now that you mention this, I'm gonna pull the cover on my '60. You've got me all worried now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. mountainexplorer

Never hurts to check as I am finding out.

Just usually Im too much of a tightwad to pull a cover if I dont have to. Pulling a cover means having to go buy more gear lube and possibly a new gasket or gasket sealer.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are '60 R&P sets stamped like GM ones are? Sorry I'm new to this Dana axle thing, I've had three different Corporate 10 bolt fronts. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. mountainexplorer

As far as I've seen they are. For example, today, when I checked my front axle (the one that actually was 4.56), it had 41-9 stamped on the ring gear... 41 divided by 9 is 4.555555

4.10s is 41-10 on a Dana 60 verses Dana 44s Ive seen that are 4.09... 45-11

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I,ve had similar stuff happen. I know it's not always convienent to check. I bought a blazer for parts. It ran, but the guy said the tranny was broken so I couldn't drive it. He said it had 3.73 in it. Well I bought it anyways. But it ended up having 3.42 rear and 3.08 front. AND a bad transfer case!! HMMMmmm, whoda figured