Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Never built a box for subs befor.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never built a box for subwoofers. Do the chambers need to be squared ??? The box I'm consittering building would have have angles in it to clear rear wheel wells, and a recessed area to be able to open tail gate. Will that screw with the sound ???? I would use some sort of insulation packing in the chambers , and make sure they all the same size. This box will be for (4) 15 inch subwoofers. I plan on using the entire space behind the rear seat to the tail gate, and from side to side. Top of box level with top of rear seat. Just need a small recessed area to be able to open up the tailgate. I want to fire the subwoofers upwards. Can anyone give me any pro's or con's ??? Opinions ??? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

doesnt have to be a perfect square. All that counts is the air volume. As long as you get the recommend cubic feet its all good.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm planning on building big box, think that I could use box filler (Insulation) to take up extra air space. Want to be able to use box for subs that require larger air space if need. Say 4.5 cubic feet per speaker. The subs I want don't need that much, but I MIGHT upgrade to the MMATS Juggernauts in the future, and they do require a min of 4.5 cubic feet per sub. I'm just thinking about possibiltys in the future.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

the insulation idea is not going to work Z3. You need a SOLID structure to take up the airspace not used like a false floor that you can cut out later. The shape is of no concern. Send me the measurements of the rear and I will draw you some plans and snail mail them to you when you do get your treo's ;-)

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll messure it out in a few days. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Give me all the specs on the subs also. Like rec volume and such.

You know you'll change your mind and want Crossfires before the year is up though ;-)

7. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

i think that the subs would sound a little better if they were angled a little towards the back window instead of straight up correct me if im wrong

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ...the subs would sound a little better if they were angled a little towards the back window ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Adam,

I can't say that four 15's are going to sound particularly "good" no matter how they are angled .... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just my .02

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

One thought is to raise rear seat about 6 inches, (put amps under it) and angle top of box starting at top of the back side of rear seat, and angling down to top of tail gate. Might even move the rear seat forward 4 inches. Very rarely does anyone ever get back there, so not concerned about any leg room for back there. Just a thought. Gotta raise the fundage for the system befor I start too worrie about it. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You don't think (4) 15 inch subs would sound good ???? I liston to alot of hip hop aswell as hard core metal, and alturnitive. I like stuff like Linkin Park, Cypriss Hill, P.O.D., Hed PE, ...ect. Music with alot of bass. Mids and highs are importent also, but I WANT bass .

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Paul,

I try to keep my mouth shut on threads like this because I know that everyone has their own "idea" about what GOOD is... I have certainly met a lot of people who have built systems just like the one you are planning, and all I can say is that after the initial excitement wears off (blowing out your windshield, giving yourself an irregular heartbeat, scaring the neighborhood, etc) you are left with a sound system that is not very rewarding to listen to.

The weakness I see with your plan is that you have spent all of your time selecting subwoofers. There are a total of 10 octaves in music (20Hz - 20,000Hz) and so far, your "system" is only dealing with 1 or 2 of them! Sure, you will have MONDO bass...but how are you possibly going to blend that with the rest of the musical spectrum? Do you have any idea how many other speakers it will take to "keep up" with the quantity of bass you are about to get with four 15" subs? It seems to me that all other considerations for the stereo have become secondary.....your main focus is getting BIG subs, having BIG subs, and cranking BIG subs, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Here's something to consider, regardless of how much bass you enjoy in your music (because let's face it, we are all different in that respect)...a 15" speaker has a HEAVY cone and a lot of MASS to get moving to play bass. A good analogy would be that of an 8,000 pound race car....it would take a LOT of power to get such a heavy car to accelerate. Once it's moving, it is going to take a lot of braking power to slow it back down.....and when going around corners, it will NOT want to turn and follow the track, but instead will attempt to travel in a straight line and drive itself into the weeds (or tire barrier! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

These are the same issues you will face when using BIG subs....they will take a LOT of power to get them moving quickly (because music can, and does have instantaneous peaks!). No matter how big the amp is, it will NEVER be able to push a heavy sub as quickly as a smaller, lighter sub.....the heavy subs ability to follow the "musical waveform" is like the "racecar-in-the-turn" analogy. The speaker cannot accurately reproduce the musical information because it can't control it's own weight....this is what is sometimes called "overshoot" or "hangover" in a subwoofer. Because it is moving slower than the music, the bass seems to become "SLOW" or "MUDDY" or "DULL" sounding.

If you are playing nice, sinusoidal test tones into a heavy sub, it can sound fine. But music is a much more complex waveform, and will reveal the weakness of that speaker.

When you look at companies like Treo or Crossfire....what is the market that they are selling into? Is it for playing music, or is it for SPL-type competition? I'm asking you because I don't know... but I'll bet that their subs are more for creating MASSIVE sound pressure for competition vehicles. Sound quality is NOT a criteria for SPL-Competition speakers....

Paul, you can do whatever you want. If you have a fantasy that a truck full of subwoofers is what you need, then maybe it's best to just spend $3000, or $5000, or $10,000 dollars to build it, and get it over with.

However, here is what I would like you to consider: You are going to have to save your hard-earned money for a LONG time to build an audio system, you should really think carefully about getting the MOST out of it. It would be nice to be able to "Crank it up" and scare the neighbors, but it would also be nice to have something that sounds GREAT....even at normal volumes, so you can enjoy it every day. There is still a lot of planning you need to do, if you are going to pull this off sucessfully....electrical, enclosures, extra batteries, crossovers, speaker placement, physical installation, security, etc.

Buying the subs and amps are only the beginning of the spending (and planning!) so I'd say keep asking questions and develop your ENTIRE plan for the system. Then evaluate the costs involved and make your decisions about what you want to do. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Greg, I thank you for your input. I do relise this will be a high dollor system, and will probley take me a few years to build it the way I want it. I do plan on the crossovers, a couple sets of mid-bass speakers, and component speakers (midrange/tweeters) I would like to try the competition stereo contests, but I still would like good musical sound. I do like the sound of the 15" subs. I've had 8's, 10's and 12's befor, the 12's sounded good to me, but that was in a smaller car. I wanta go with the 15's this time. I've heard 15's in a larger vichile like a Blazer and did like it. I might not be as cridical as some people for the SQ, couse I do like the way 15's sound.

13. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

i would personally go with 2 15" adire audio Brahamas they are a great quality sounding sub i love them there loud yeah but they sound great

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've never heard adire audio Brahamas, I'll try too check them out.

15. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Just like Greg said some subs are meant for different areas of sound reproduction. The Crossfire Xt is no-where near a sub that I would use in an everyday driver. The BMF series of subs is the closest thing you can get to a true SPL sub and still sound nice. For the BEST overall performance and sounds quality you should look into the Crossfire P1 series of sub in a 12" and a ported enclosure tuned around 70Hz. That would allow a large extension for lower bass notes but still keep the sub under control and SQ would not suffer as bad as the 15" subs would. I have changed many 15" out with 12" because they allow a wider range of music possibilites. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif