Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Never buy a truck from me: It may try and kill you

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 3, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I sold an '84 K20 as-is to someone on payments. He's been making payments fine and on time, and it's $800 away from being paid for.

The tires I had on it were 35" Thornbirds... with certain lugs modified by a previous owner of the tires. They were out of balance when I sold the truck and had horrid street manners, and I told him that; they are best used off road only. Since then they have gotten worse and are so bad they are just hammering on the front end components of the truck even the little he drives it on pavement.

Today, a drag link end busted and he lost steering going down a hill. Luckily it was only at about 25-30mph. He hit the brakes, and since it pulled right a bit upon braking, it sent him right over into the ditch rather than into the oncoming lane or even worse ditch to the left. It was still a big bank, and the impact popped 3 of the tires off the rims and the truck is sitting on it's nose currently.

Tomorrow I'm going up to get it pulled out and trailered back to my place where we'll do a few repairs and throw some skinny but user friendly tires on it for now.

So beware to anyone who has any of my old vehicles. They could be trying to kill you. :eek1:

2. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

Muhahahahahahah!!!!

231833.jpg

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I sure the drag link end was in bad shape already. Even the worst tires in the world will not cause a drag link end to break if it is in good condition.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

christine!! my thought exactly. that car was sweet

5. mountainexplorer

That's why I feel partially guilty about it. About a month ago he said that the steering got play in it. I mentioned to check the steering box bolts and make sure they were tight. But I didn't personally go up and check steering components, which I should have done, or at least gone more in depth on telling him what other components to inspect as well.

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Thats nice of you to go help him out, but he did buy it as-is :o

I think I would buy a truck from you, just for this reason :D

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't feel bad. You told him "as is". If the guy was not smart enough to inspect the truck for himself, then maybe he had no business getting the truck in the first place.

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Never sell a car to a friend, unless he lives two states away and has thirty others to play with. :D :D

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

man ur an awesome seller!! my dad bougth an '89 furd crown vic from a local fireman. the thing was in perfect condition and it appeared to run well. since the guy was a fireman my dad thought the guy was completely legit. turns out a month down the road, it needed a new tranny, and the engine had to be rebuilt. then 6months down the road it was basically a brand new car :doah: well that was the last furd he bought :haha:

10. mountainexplorer

Everything I sell comes with the "Allan 24 hour Roadside Assistance Program". Meaning, I'll help you out, but it may take at least 24 hours for me to get there.

I'll replace the broken parts for him, but they will be used stuff out of the "inventory", but at least checked out as good first. I always save all my drag link ends that are in good shape or barely used for situations like this or whenever I get one that starts wearing out.

11. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

This is great of you for doing that.....but AS-IS is AS-IS. We don't deal with new trucks, so problems are expected to happen. But good on ya for helping a guy out. Just make sure you mention to him that the payments have to keep coming!