Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Never hire me as a salesman

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 13, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I got another call on my truck I'm selling. And I pretty much talked the guy out of wanting it.

I guess there's a reason I don't work at a used car lot.

Ok, so who of you out there make good sales pitch people? I keep making the mistake of telling everyone every little detail wrong with it and then proceeding to tell them I'd rather part it out than sell it to them cause it needs alot of what I call little things.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Just keep your pitch short, simple and honest. ALL older trucks need little stuff, no need to unsell it. Number one rule of selling is, once the wheeling and dealing starts, the first guy to speak a dollar figure is the loser. Find out where your customer needs to be. Sometimes thats more then you were hoping for.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I just start rambling on about how the PS lines leak, brakes started acting soft, carb started acting up, needs a tune up, temp gauge doesnt work all the time... and thats usally more than enough to make most people think it's gonna cost $1000 up front to fix it all.

Sure, it could if you hire someone to do it for you with new parts. I guess not all people are like me with used parts laying around that these things arent a big deal to. I just don't have time to mess with it, otherwise I could fix it all. But if I'm gonna spend the time to fix it all, I could just as easily part it out and get the same money out of it without having to deal with complainers aletr if something else goes wrong.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm in the process of selling my K5 right now. My sales pitch is as follows:

"This truck is probably the nicest 22 year old truck in the Valley. But remember, it's 22 years old." I believe in the full-disclosure approach, too, but I always follow it up with the "22 year old" comment. Geez, if people want a new truck, they should go buy a new truck.........:deal: