Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEVER Use Aftermarket Electric Door Switches....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2Dogs, Nov 22, 2005.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

AAARRRGGH, so pissed.

December of last year I replaced the drivers side window motor. As I took the door apart my original window controller's chrome plastic piece crumbled into a few pieces. After the motor install I went to Napa and grabbed one off of the Help rack (at least I think that was the brand). Everything seemed fine, I was very happy with the speed of the Napa motors (new, not rebuilt) and purchased the matching motor for the passenger side at the same stop as the door switch.

That brings us to today. Dusted off the box for the new motor and went to work. The install went fine until I tried to use the passenger door switch - nothing, as in no up and down. There was power to the switch so I thought wtf, another switch?? During this time I happened to try it from the drivers side and it worked fine (and fast). Ah, I thought it was the switch for sure! Head down to my LPS and get another Help switch and since I could not control myself I tried it in the parking lot - no up, no down, no dice. I thought oh farg, I hate wiring and electrical probs.

So I head back to the house to tear into the wiring of the passenger door thinking I probably had a wire rubbed someplace in the door. After taking all of the original harness apart all the way up into the dash no trouble was found. Move to the drivers side, similar work was performed with the same result - no trouble with the wires.

During all this and repeated tests the passenger window could be operated up OR down - never both - periodically.

So the dash and doors looks like an explosion from a trash can behind an Italian restaurant and its 7:00PM..... :doah:As I am cleaning up I notice the original switch from my drivers door laying in my mobile toolbox. I figure It can't hurt anything so I plug the old bare unit back in - IT WORKS!! Yes, both the passenger and driver side go up and down with 100% functionality.

POS driver's side switch :mad:

I think the GM switches are $80 something but I tell you what, that will be on my list of mandatory parts. 1 for each side!!!

Learn from my mistakes :D

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

PM me, I've got a '89 burb with all electric windows. I don't plan on using any of the components. Make me an offer.

3. 2Dogs

PM'd, but the 'Burb has a four switch unit, correct?

4. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I often see those switches on e-bay. I think the plugs are standard across the 80's GM cars and trucks, so just about any of the should fit.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Four switch on drivers front...the passenger and rear doors are single. I don't know if they will work...

6. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I had the same problems with my windows. Took years to finally replace everything, fix a few wire shorts, and replace the switches to get to the point that I could use my window, just like when new.

Then a week later, the passenger window would not roll it self up. It works from the driver side, up, down, both doors, but the passenger switch only goes down.

Could this be a "bed" new Help counter switch? I am tired of buying 19-29 dollar switches.
    Eddie

7. 2Dogs

Yeah, could be. Try to borrow a switch or get one from a junkyard before spending any more money.....

My prob was very weird in its symptoms as you can tell so cheapy switches are a good place to start troubleshooting.

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I had a similar experience with a '90 K5 Blazer.
    The passenger window would either roll up or roll down- but not both.
    It was dependant on the last movement of the POS switch on the driver's door- an AutoZone "Help Section" window switch.

So, a problem on the passenger side was caused by a defective driver's side switch...