Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new 1/4 elliptical idea on a fullsize

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5 krawler 50, Mar 15, 2005.

1. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

A while ago, i asked about running a 1/4 elliptical on the rear of a k5. There was one guy on here who did it, and some members said it would be cool, but the weight of the vehicle would probably not work with that type of suspension. So i went looking around on the net and found this cool way to make a bumpstop/ride adjustment with an airbag. Here is a pic. Now would this help with the support of the weight or is this just a not so good idea either. i would also not mount the bag to the leaf pack. I dont know. It's just something that caught my eye and was wondering what you guys thought.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43119&stc=1

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

link doesn't work, try linking to the thread not the attachment.

3. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to take the time and effort to go 1/4 elliptic just link it up and run some coilovers. 1/4 elliptic can flex really well but it has alot of side effects. You are going to have a hard time finding a spring rate that is a happy medium especially with a fullsize rig. 1/4 elliptic is also very prone to rear steer which can make life four wheeling very interesting to say the least.

Harley

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oh I remember that setup, I have a video of it airing up somewhere. I must agree coilovers are more the way to go. That setup is just so complex it seems stupid to me. On a fullsize you'll max out the leaf springs and just rely on the airbags while you kill the springs.

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1/4 elliptical done the right way is just as expensive as 4 link and coilover. For the ultimate in cheap I'd probably run a bushed crossed 4 link with Ford superflex 8" lift coils.

7. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Sure, just run coilovers and look like everyone else. The first time I saw a 1/4 elliptical I was just amazed by the cool factor. It was different and had some wicked flex.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally cool, I still think it is anyway, but like noted if you want some cheaper option, its not.

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gull wing doors are cool too, doesn't mean they are pratical.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Where's Josh when you need him????...... JOSH???

I'd like to hear how he's doing with his, now that he's been living with it for at least a couple of years. I saw some pics and I have video clips of him going over some pretty gnarly rockpiles....the truck didn't look like it was working all that hard to do it either. :thinking:

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah haven't seen him around since some posts about 1/4 elliptical long ago.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I thought he lived on the East Coast somewhere???? Maybe even PA?

http://www.midatlanticoffroaders.com/

Somebody there must know him....

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

MD I think. I forget. All the pictures I had were from him at Paragon.

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Keep in mind that 1/4 elliptic springs are SPRINGS, they have nothing to do with the locating linkage (which causes roll steer, antisquat problems, etc) and will hold up ANY truck if they're built to do it. Coils are definitely cheaper and easier and coilovers start making sense pretty quick if you want a premium shock with it. As far as being different? I'd find some other way to make the rig unique rather than make it hard to build, hard to tune, heavier than it could be.

Leaves do have some advantage space wise since they typically package flat and horizontal, that could help them fit under a bed floor if that's a big deal for you.

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

There is a reasteer issue related to 1/4 eliptic. Yes the link design causes it but the springs force you into a link length. If you were to do a normal link system (links anywhere from 28-33") you would need a spring that was symmetrical, and at about 60" long. So you use 52" springs, cut them in half and now your links need to 26" (short slightly short on a rear suspension). If you run with 30" links and use roll steer than you can keep the 26" long half leave. This is where coils start to sound awsome.