Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 14 Bolt Spool Available

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Oct 1, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Saw this on Pirate and thought I'd pass it on, pretty cool looking piece.

Randy's R&P Selling Spools

2. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Why pay money for a spool when you can weld it up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Does the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Someone please explain /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. nvrenuf

You're right welding will work just as well. In a situation like a gear change where a person might not already have the correct carrier this is perfect and less than a Detroit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Besides think of the [sparkle]BLING!![/sparkle] /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

awesome, I think this will be a popular upgrade. Many 14FF's are going into trail only rigs.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Why pay money for a spool when you can weld it up /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Does the same thing /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Someone please explain /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it is stronger than a welded carrier.

If anyone wants one, I'm a dealer, hit me up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I'd buy one but there is two problems there.....
    1) I don't have a 14b FF yet!
    2) I am a poor university student

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Well I'd buy one but there is two problems there.....
    1) I don't have a 14b FF yet!
    2) I am a poor university student

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't sell welders but I think the use of one is in your near future.

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've always thought about welding up my 12b but have always been a little uneasy to do so. Would it be better to weld the front so it disengaged when you were on the street (but its a 10b ... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) or the rear diff and have the tires chirpin all the time and wear down my precious tires that I can't afford to replace! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I've always thought about welding up my 12b but have always been a little uneasy to do so. Would it be better to weld the front so it disengaged when you were on the street (but its a 10b ... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif) or the rear diff and have the tires chirpin all the time and wear down my precious tires that I can't afford to replace! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't afford to break stuff, or wear down your tires quick, I'd leave it open at both ends and hone your driving skills instead. Being locked is cool, but open diffs will still get you places you never thought you could go.

Rene

10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, you're probably right....unfortunately /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Well, I think I may turn my attention this summer to finding a BBC I can freshen up a bit. I need more powa!!! The 305 just doesn't cut it... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't afford to break stuff, or wear down your tires quick, I'd leave it open at both ends and hone your driving skills instead. Being locked is cool, but open diffs will still get you places you never thought you could go.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on the tire wear and harshness thing....but you guys that don't have lockers don't even know what you're missing. Once you're locked you'll think your truck can go through ANYTHING. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Body damage is the usual result. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I could deal with a little body damage cause you can still use your truck when its bashed up. But broken axle shafts and balding tires affect the performance. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I am still undecided on what to do.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Once you're locked you'll think your truck can go through ANYTHING. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean it can't? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bummer /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Seriously, I do agree. Lockers give more traction improvement than gnarly tires. Even more ground clearance can't compete.

14. WARP1

WARP1 Registered Member

Can it be used to replace a government locker diff. or is it only good for the open 14bff?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Can it be used to replace a government locker diff. or is it only good for the open 14bff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, it can go in either.

16. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This spool is a replacement carrier, not an insert to be used inside the original carrier.

17. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

thats the one good thing bout this...is if ya got a gov loc you can get rid of it for a spool...instead of where a detroit will only drop in and only in an open carrier /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. nvrenuf

Oh, I forgot, this spool is available in a 4.10 type carrier only. They are not going to produce one for OE 4.56+ gears so anything in that range will have to be aftermarket thick gears.

19. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id like to get one but my truck has to get to the trails.also snow and ice driving here in pa would be more of a challenge.the priuce seems to be in a good range though.i broke my detrit last year.so i had to go back to open diff.i still have to get ahold of tractech to see what i can do about replacment parts to fix my detroit.this would be a nice solid replacement.and the 14 bolt is so easy to set up that if you could change from open to locked in under an hour.4 hours to let the silicone dry up and refill the diff. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, I forgot, this spool is available in a 4.10 type carrier only. They are not going to produce one for OE 4.56+ gears so anything in that range will have to be aftermarket thick gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO it's a good thing. They should just do away with that carrier and all its associated gearsets and produce gears lower than 5.13 instead.

Nobody has that carrier anyway. They should just ditch it.