Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new 14ff D60 = brake problem ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oneofthefewbmx, Nov 23, 2005.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

hey guys... i swapped in a D60 and 14ff from a cucv both have 4.56 and rear has a detriot....now the problem i have is the brake pedal is hard as hell to press and to hold down. i didnt bother rebuilding the brake system besides new pads in the front...but the thing is....i put the D60 in first and drove on it for like 2 weeks and the brakes worked the same (if not better than) my 10 bolt...but when i put the 14 bolt in, my brakes work very very well, but the are hard as hell to push. my friend said that every cucv he drove in the army was like that...is this true...and what can i do to fix it....i have the rotors and calipers from my 8-lug 10 bolt, would it alieviate the problem to just put discs in the back??? or is the problem somewhere else?? any info is appreciated

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I'm about to do the same thing. Interesting problem. Will the 14 wheel cylinders gravity bleed? Normally a hard pedal means the booster isn't working. You did bleed the entire system right.?.?

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Wild-A$$-Guess: you still had silicone brake fluid in the calipers/pistons. Now that mix of fluid has turned into goow. When the Army switched to silicone from mineral we flushed the brake systems with alcohol (IIRC). :D

4. oneofthefewbmx

i did bleed the whole brake system, and there was some wierd lookin **** that came out....i dont see why my master cylinder would be bad, my brakes worked fine until i put this 14ff under there

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

good call on the fluid swap problem. also there is a specific set of steps to follow on hydro boost blead out for the assist sytem side. and to test hydro unit press pedel till hard. then fire up with foot to floor on brakes . pedel should come up to you from floor. and also did you use the hydro pump . if not the 3 hose system needs the 3 hose pump.

6. oneofthefewbmx

well see, i dont have hydra boost....do you guys think this would help my problem?? if so, is that is pretty easy swap?

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

o.k. then what master are you using? 1/2 - 3/4 - 1 ton?

my friend swaped from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton with the big 13" drums. his pedel whent to the 3/4 range before full grab.

8. oneofthefewbmx

i am running the 3/4 ton master cylinder