Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 2500 frame looks terrible

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

I know this is not the forum for this, but what was GM thinking when they designed the frame on the 2500 pickup. It sticks out of the bottom of the cab about 7 inches and the visual is atrocious. I cannot imagine the legendary pickup designed with this flaw. The design was even incorporated on their new model year. Go figure, I guess they think we will buy anything. Maybe they are right. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They must have got that idea from the S-10's. The frames on those hang stupidly low. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

they look real nice, especially with a 3" body lift /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Gives it that swanky high centered look so often seen at the mall... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The reason the new HD's are like that is so that they can fit the Duramax and Allison combo. The Dealership I work at had to replace a Duramax and those things are fawkin huge. Make a BBC look small. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

O yeah not to mention you can fit 33's on a stock 2500HD without a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

*Cringes at the mention of "S-10"*

7. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

ever since 88'when the new k series trucks came out,they showed too much frame.body lifts make it even worse.i believe the frame drops behind the front suspension to accomidate the torsion bars.either way,they look cheesy.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'd reather see a little frame than have the crappy frames that our trucks have...maybe not as much as a 2500 HD's though

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You might think it looks bad, but it hauls ass, and that's what counts to me.

Actually the frame is a lot more noticeable on a light colored truck (white is worst) than on a dark truck like mine (dark blue). I don't even notice it on my truck.

10. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Amen brotha!

I love my 02 Crew!

The frames on all the new GM trucks are hydro-formed (Pressure formed with water) from single chunks of steel (from what I've hear)

Hella-stout!!

The frame does sit low - but I didn't buy it to beat it off-road! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

but you can put lots of stickers on them.....

12. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The frame does sit low - but I didn't buy it to beat it off-road

[/ QUOTE ]

carefull what you say- I've taken some heat for the same types of comments about my '01 D/A CC SB....

Brandy

13. JayHornyak

JayHornyak Registered Member

All of the newer chevy frames sit too low. nothing since 87 sits high and tight.

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

What's the difference if the frame hangs low or if you see 7" of transfer case? Ford and especially Dodge have always kept their frames out of sight but Ford likes to have a transfer case that hangs way down like the NP208 on my 84K10. I don't think it looks bad but having a transfer case that hangs down like mine does is gay. Not only does it look retarded but it also puts it in harm's way. I have a chunk out of my NP208 from scraping on things.

15. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Besides looking bad, from the front suspension heading back the frame not only drops but it also gets wider. Its like a double weak area. Just about any decent frontal impact, or hard jump landing will bend the frame right there. Being bent up is an easy fix, but in a straight on hit the frames lazy S will compress. THATS a bear to pull back out!

Then where the frame goes from the tranny Xmember back, it goes to a C channel. Real weak along there too. Weaker than the earlier frames along there IMO.

The new Hydro formed frames are pretty stout.

One thing to remember is newer cars and trucks are DESIGNED to puckerup and buckle in an impact to better spread the load around the vehicle, while keeping the passenger compartment stable and safe. I watched some slow speed videos in an IICAR class of a Firebird hitting a wall, the front crumpled up, and the rear of the car bent up from the inertia. Pretty wild to see.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm with you on that...GM could have made the frame dip down 2-4" more (guess) on the 73-87 trucks. Doesn't matter if you see a frame or a transfercase hanging down, except if you hit a rock with it. Might as well hit the frame!