Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new 2wd lift idea??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by prerunner1982, Jan 6, 2003.

1. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

heres an idea...this is a fellow 73-87 trucker who cut our 1.5" from his crossmember, which is the lowest part of our trucks that are bagged... how about adding a few inches to allow use of longer springs? what effect would this have on lifting? just an idea... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=34790&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/chopcross.html

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Well......I guess you could space the whole enchilada down 2-3 inches. Looks like some mods to the motor mounts would be required and ???? I supose it would be cheap but not my first choice. Lots of stress on the frame etc. I think what he did will be OK....if he doesn't run out of frame to bolt the upper a-arms to. Dfferent deal making it higher.

3. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

I'm here too prerunnner /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    The upper control arms bolt to the crossmember only. You just have to drill new holes in the frame to bolt the sides back on.

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Just to try and clarify...The upper arms bolt to an "L" shaped bracket that bolts onto the crossmember (3 bolts) and the frame (4 bolts). I think doing this mod to lower is cool, I just don't think it would work well to lift.

5. prerunner1982

Chris, sorry i dont know where you roam.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Michael, i didnt plan on using it.. dont plan on lifting my truck anymore.. getting rather tired of it actually..... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Wanna buy a 2WD Blazer?

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

How much you want for it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. prerunner1982

i dont have enough money to work on my truck as it is.. muchless buy yours..

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

$3500 PM for any details.....

10. Grim-Reaper

Wish you were closer because I'd really concider it if you were not 700 miles away. Interested in a 89 Supra as a trade? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I really hate to part with it at this point, but I really need something cheaper to operate and more suited to a 110 mile 3-4 day a week commute.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm still not tryin' real hard to sell, but I thought I'd drop a hint and see what turned up. I'll be lookin' for a small pick-up or maybe a Cherokee /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Yeah my daily drive is 45 miles round trip. That's why I been keeping the Supra around. It gets 22mpg if I keep it under 80mph. I put it up For sale because I'm mad at it. WHeel bearings are going and in typical Toyota fashion the parts are way over priced. looking about $240 in parts to replace the REAR wheel bearings. Rediculous! That's Timken bearings from Auto Zone. The Asin bearings from toyota and Toyota seals it would be over $300. It could proably use front wheel bearings as well and that's going to be another $180. The Tieron ends were reuined by the last guy that allinged it. hit them with a Impact and damaged the threads. $60 each before it can be aliniged.

Well I put an add up for the 79 "to Drop a hint". Got an offer right away.
    I hate to part with it. Got a lot of time and a lot of money in it. Problem is cosmetics with it,. has a Crate and pretty well everything has been rebuilt since I have owned it. I now I have atleast $7500. Asked $3500 and got a responce. It may be sold before the end of the week. Time to hunt for a 4 door car for the wife.

13. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Don't take that seriously. I "lurk" everywhere I used to post....

14. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Yes you can just space the entire front crossmember to lift it. Ive seen it done for 2" and he never bothered with the 4 bolts going in to the side from the a arm brackets. This does work good and keeps the ride stock. As for the motor mounts, the crossmember and mounts from a 4x4 were bolted to the frame to support the engine. It's actually a pretty good idea if you don't want to go with spacers under the coil.

15. 71chevy2wd

71chevy2wd Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes you can just space the entire front crossmember to lift it. Ive seen it done for 2" and he never bothered with the 4 bolts going in to the side from the a arm brackets. This does work good and keeps the ride stock. As for the motor mounts, the crossmember and mounts from a 4x4 were bolted to the frame to support the engine. It's actually a pretty good idea if you don't want to go with spacers under the coil.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did they accomodate for the added 2 inches in the steering? I thought of this years ago, but saw a truck where the guy dropped the suspension like previously mentioned and made a drop idler and pitman arm, however when doing this, he messed up the steering geometry somehow. Now he doesn't have much of a steering radius.

I've been trying to solve this for years but nobody has told me a better way and having it actually work properly.

16. BRN78BLAZER

as i remember nothing was done to accomodate the extra 2" in the steering, I figured the tie rods just flexed downward a bit more. the truck should still be at my buddy's farm, later in the week I can go out an check on it and see for sure.

17. BRN78BLAZER

I checked out the truck and nothing had been done to accomodate the steering. This truck was never driven on the road, but if it was you may need to add something in the steering for alignment purposes.