Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new 350, loose over 1 qt oil between oil changes.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevBlazin, Mar 31, 2003.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I bought a gm goodwrench 350 almost three years ago, so it is'nt exactly "new". However it has about 25,000 miles on it now (the warranty is 3 year/ 50,000 miles). From what I remember even right after I put it in it seems like It will be a quart low on oil (valvoline 5w30) after about 2000 miles. I get a puff of smoke some times when I start it too. It doesnt leak oil anywhere except for a very tiny bit by the valve covers (doesnt make it to the ground though) I have an edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 600 carb, and headers on it, besides that it's a stock motor. What would cause me to loose this much oil, is it normal? and the warranty has 2 months left, do you think it will be covered even though it has the aftermarket parts on it, I didnt do any internal changes on the motor? Any ideas, suggestions would be great.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think using a quart of oil between changes is bad.
    I really doubt if they will warenty it. I think that is considered acceptable oil consumption for a 350 in a heavy vehicle.
    My 350 has always used a quart between oil changes(2500- 3000)
    When its a quart down I always know its about time for a change.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

When you get to a quart a week, then start to worry /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif that's when mine finally started a wicked death knock and then seized. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I would not worry, that is about average. My 96 Z-28 with a LT-1 350 would use a quart every 3000. The little of smoke when you start it up is the valve guides. This is a normal thing for chevy engines. What causes it is that the valve guides when the engine is sitting allows a small amount of oil to seep into the cylinder. I see nothing to get concerned about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I see nothing to get concerned about. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

John [​IMG]