Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 350---->New 33" Tires--->Overheating----->Blown Tranny--->What a Day!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Jan 14, 2001.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

New 350---->New 33\" Tires--->Overheating----->Blown Tranny--->What a Day!!!

Had a new GM 350 crate engine installed 2 weeks ago in my 86 K5. Put new 33" tires on a couple days ago (used to have 31" tires). Driving from Pittsburgh to DC last night (aprrox. 250 miles). When climbing hills I notice that the temp. gauge is getting up around 240 degrees. Look in the rear view mirror and see white smoke. Think "Great, I'm giong to crack a head on an engine that has less than 1,000 miles on it!!!" Pull over, engine cools down. Start driving again staying between 55-60 mph. Temp. gauge stays around 210 except when climbing hills, but I don't over do it. Hour later, stop to get gas. Notice strong antifreeze smell from vents. Think, "maybe the heater core is bad." Start driving again. Climbing hill at about 60 mph, temp. gauge begins rising, start seeing white smoke, when BAM!!!!! the tranny blows out, and I see flames from under my truck. Pull off the road, with smoke billowing from everywhere. Pop the hood, tranny fluid everywhere and strong antifreeze smell, huge puddle of tranny fluid under truck. Pull tranny dipstick and it smells burnt. Cops, firetruck and ambulance all show up and leave. Flat bed shows up hour and a half later. Still 80 miles from home (thank god for AAA Plus Membership.) Get home 2 hrs. later and I'm wondering what happened.

Tranny is 2 yrs old with about 27K miles. First of all, could the 33" tires been causing a strain on the new engine causing it to over heat (still have stock gears)? Or could it be the 33" tires that strained the tranny causing it to blow? If the heater core is blown could that cause the overheating? Is the overheating engine and blown tranny even related? I don't even no where to begin looking???????

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Re: New 350---->New 33\" Tires--->Overheating----->Blown Tranny--->What a Day!!!

I don't know the answer to any of the questions, but that is an extremely bad day...

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Re: New 350---->New 33\" Tires--->Overheating----->Blown Tranny--->What a Day!!!

whatever you do NEVER tell GM that your gage went over 210, the 33" tires wouldn't cause your engine or tranny to blow, I am running 33"s with a worn out engine, and tranny, and 3.07 gears and have never had a problem.
    Did you have your radiator cleaned or rebuilt when you put in the new engine? is the floorboard SOAKED, where the heater core is located? on the passenger side, if so then the loss of water from your blown heater core could have caused the entire problem. check your hoses, to see if any of them are soft, you could have drained your coolant out through a pinhole in a line and caused the problem that way.
    the main thing is that somewhere there was a plug in your coolant system, or a hole in your coolant system, causing your tranny fluid to get hot and cook the tranny, and causing your engine to blow white smoke, probably a head gasket.
    Get ready to start explaining your driving habbits (all of the good ones) to the GM dealer and the tranny shop.
    Good luck
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Here's my .02, we've almost been there but not as bad. Back when I was little turd my mom decided to get 32" tires on our '81. No one bothered to check the differental ratio, it was 2.73. Over the summer the tranny crapped out and won't up shift and the body and carb are toast so whats left is going into my '82. When you put bigger tires it lowers the RPM of the engine. The engine has to work harder because it cant turn as fast and your transmission has to lug to get rolling. If you regear the diffs and get another tranny you should be good. I wouldnt right off the truck because its newer and you have that brand new motor. Good Luck! [​IMG]

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm thinkin' the tranny lines go to the stock cooler in the radiator...if for some reason the coolant was low (I know you checked it), or the water pump was malfunctioning, blocked/restricted flow, whatever......the heat would transfer to your tranny and cause it to have a very bad day.......how's that for a wild assed gues.......uh........diagnosis.........anyway.....after reading your post....I ain't got much to bitch about.......sorry 'bout yer truck......JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....

6. azjimmy

azjimmy Registered Member

If you were going up the hills in 4th gear that could have caused both your problems, when a 700R4 is in O/D the internals are turning so slow it can't dissipate the heat fast enough through the fluid, and your new tires would definitely agrivate that condition due to the taller tires, if your trans is toast, when you get it fixed make sure you add an auxilary cooler, you should always drop to 3rd gear when climbing steep grades. Hope this helps. Pat

<font color=red>Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!</font color=red>[​IMG]
    '76 Jimmy, 6" w/35's 4.88's and all locked up

7. johnny reb

The only time I was blowing white smoke was when the temp. gauge got up around 240. It would go away as soon as the engine cooled down a bit. I checked the oil and it's not milky. Do you still think I could have blown a head gasket?

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well before you go calling it a blown HG lets keep all the blame on the trannys since it grenaded. If the tranny was baking it would raise the engine temp because it runs it's cooler through the radiator. Now the white smoke you saw may have been steam from the overflow and it was getting sucked under the truck and out the back where you would see it. It may not have been coming from the exhaust and that would be the indication of a BHG
    Now you need to get down to why the tranny blew. Since you just dropped the engine in lets start with the basics. Check your tranny lines running up to the radiator. It's not hard to smack them when dropping in an engine and you may have pinched one restricting it's flow. This could explain the overheat alone. Enough fluid was making it back to run the tranny but it was slowed and could not dump the heat fast enough.
    Another possiblility is the torq converter was not properly engaged on the dog ears in the pump cause bind in the pump. Again it would put extra load on the engine and quite possibly been under pumping the tranny have the same results as above.
    Fix the tranny, radiator and heater core. once you got the truck back to where you can run the engine do a compression test, check the oil for coolant and hit the local NAPA and get a HG test kit. The kit will check the coolant for presence of exhaust gas. If the coolant has Exhaust gas in it thats a dead give away the HG is blown. Thats when you need to deal with GM about the engine. Don't let them on about the blown tranny and if they ask to see the truck they won't know. Should make less hassle with the claim especialy if you give them some facts like exhaust in the coolant.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Your tranny was probably "on its way out" when you installed the engine. While you're driving its slipping and causing the engine to work harder than it needed to, causing it to overheat.

ken

10. johnny reb

What's funny is that I never had a problem until I put on the 33" tires a couple days ago. The tranny only had 27K miles on it. I didn't have any problems until about 1 hour into my trip when the engine started overheating. Then an hour later, the tranny blows up. Never slipped or shifted hard at all. Just blew up with no warning.

I think what I will do is put the old wheels and tires back on and check the head gasket and radiator and all that stuff before I take it back to Aamco. I don't want to give them any indication that anything else caused it to blow. I want them to think that the tranny just died. I know they will give me a hard time about the warranty.

11. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Re: New 350---->New 33\" Tires--->Overheating----->Blown Tranny--->What a Da

I think your tranny problem is from the place that rebuilt it. The Aamoco I went to here in Salt Lake is terrible. I had to take mine back 4 times before they fixed it right, and then it wouldn't shift into 1st. I fixed that myself because they are just numbnuts.

I will never ever go there agoin. I bet mine will crap out too when I get to about 27,000 miles.

Some where I saw a message board called aamco sucks and it had about 2000 articles from different people on how crapy they were and how they wouldn't honor the warranty. I hope you have better luck than they did.

One more thing. If your engine wasn't installed properly and ti overheated, it could have caused your tranny to go bad if you have any kind of tranny cooler because the trany temp would have rinen past the critical temp.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>