Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 4.88 gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slinkychevy, Oct 30, 2002.

1. slinkychevy

slinkychevy Newbie

I just had some 4.88's installed on my 77 k5 the other day by 4x4 company and I was wondering how you could tell if they did the jobe right. There are some strange noises coming form the rear end and driveshaft. With the truck in neutral I can rotate the driveshaft alot farther than I have ever seen before. I was just looking for some answers. My t-case was just rebuilt and the U-joints are brand new just so you know. Didn't want you to think that that was the problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well I don't know how much is too much for you, but that would be the backlash and if it's too much the noises you hear would be the teeth eating each other, and you will soon brake something.
    The contact pattern would be in the wrong place probably at the edge of the gears and that is not good.
    I would have someone look at it if I were you before I drive it too much.

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

That sounds normal if you have a Detroit /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Take the cover off and look for obvious damage to the ring gear, or take it to someone you trust. If you can turn the pinion real far than you may indeed have a peoblem.

One thing to consider - new gears require a break in period, if you take new gears out and immeadiately start doing burnouts, driving 100 miles at highway speeds without stopping, towing anything, ANYTHING to stress the gears, they will overheat and fail. New gears should be run eailisy for about 20 minutes, then allowed to cool completely, then run another 20 miles, cooled, etc, at least 3 or 4 times to ensure break in. No towing for 500 miles and a fluid change at 500 miles. So, if you didn't do any of the bad stuff before breaking in the gears, then you might have some recourse if they're trashed. If you did do this stuff but the installer didn't tell you about eh break in, then you still may have some recourse with them. </font color>

5. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

Check for any movement of the axle yoke for movement forward to aft, you might have to drop the D/L.
    There should be none. They might not of tighten your crush coller far enough on your pinion. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif.......