Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 4x4 Group Member Have tons of questions and could use your help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cameron/82Jimmy, May 11, 2000.

1. Cameron/82Jimmy

Cameron/82Jimmy Registered Member

Heres the 411 I have a 1982 Gmc Jimmy I have a 350 (not factory) I blew the the old one. I want a nice high ridding rig. I am planning on 6in lift (2 in body lift just for looks). 38 in tires. I have no idea on the following.
    I am going to be doing a fair amount of mudding climbing and some rocks. Thanks for any help. drop me a note sometime dburnett@arn.net

1.What are lockers?
    2.What do they do?
    3.What is a dana 60 40 ect.
    4.Gear ratios. What are they? How do they work?
    5. sway bars. w/ or with out.
    6. Are there laws against my rig as a daily driver? (texas)
    7. What exhaust should I go with? I want 2.5 with 4in tips.
    8. Should I change my engine to a 454 (recently posted the question) I have problems with hesitation leaks.

Cameron Burnett
    1982 Jimmy 4x4

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

There are no lift laws in the state of Texas

<font color=green>Money</font color=green>--&gt;Blazer

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Yes there is Lift laws in Texas, your headlights cannot be higher than 52 inches ...According to the inspection station that I frequent

White Knight

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Lockers...basically make both wheels on a axle turn at the same spped, not allowing one to free wheel
    Dana 60/40 are a designation of a Dana axle, 60 being a very strong one and 44 similar in performance to a 10 bolt.
    Sway bars and designed to keep body sway under control, in a off-road conditions the sawy bar disconnected will allow more axle articulation
    I'm running a Single 3" into a catco cat and a Flo-pro performance muffler sounds good and gives me just enough back pressure to give some good low-end torque
    Hey there is no substitue for horsepower, and the rat will give it to you

White Knight

5. four50four

four50four Registered Member

i don't post here a whole lot, but i read most of it, and i'm in a typing mood, so heres what I know:
    1)as said above, lockers lock both wheels together so they always spin at the same speed, exception cornering. VERY desirable off-road. open diffs will put the power to the one wheel with least traction, which doesn't help the one that does have traction
    2)same as above
    3)dana 44 and dana 60 are both axles, both which come in the front and rear configuration. dana 60 being much stronger. up until the late 70's GM used a dana 44 front and a corporate 12-bolt rear, both can be considered medium duty. they then moved to 10 bolts front and rear which are light-duty and plain out suck. dana 60 fronts came in 1 tons, which came with a 14 bolt FF rear, incredibly strong.
    4)gear ratios are the ratio of how many times your driveshaft spins to the number of times the wheels turn. lower gear ratios (higher numerically) will give better acceleration, but less top end. when upgrading tire size, gears should be changed lower. lower gear ratios are perferred off-road
    5)as said above, sway bars will help articulation, but without them create body roll. suggest using sway bar disconnects. disconnect for off-road, and hook 'em back up for the street
    6)how would i know? i'm a canadian eh [​IMG]
    7)exhaust sounds good 'cept for them tips. i hate big tips, especially when you can see where they jion the rest of the exhaust. looks like a civic rice car, please do not put big tips on your jimmy, what looks best is a slighty larger end that is cut on a 45 degree angle IMO. i even seen bow-tie tips once, looked cool.
    8)kind of an awkward question, "should i change my engine to a 454" it's a matter of personal preference, and it's up to you to decide. if you were asking me, buy a 454, build it up, and when the 350 goes, you got a bigblock to put in it. be warned your 10 bolts WILL die! 350s are great engines with so many parts, cheap rebuild kits, good power, better gas milage, less weight, and lots more, but as they say there is no replacement for displacement!!

hope it helps!!

Keith