Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New .50 Smith and Wesson the next Dirty Harry!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ds350, Feb 14, 2003.

1. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

I saw this in the newspaper this AM.....I want it!

[​IMG]

It holds 5 rounds!

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Still like my Desert Eagle better. [​IMG]

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

No Doubt !!

It uses the 500 S&W Magnum cartridge!

If that doesn't mean much then consider your average "Dirty Harry" type 44 Magnum fires a round with a muzzle energy of around 900ft/lbs while the 500 S&W has a muzzle energy of 2600ft/lbs !! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sweeeeeet!

Any idea what they cost??

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Can you say....

RECOIL!!!!!!

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn they are both sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

The paper listed them at $989

Here is the Link

They also list that Smith & Wesson also has a new .44 that weighs 1 pound, 10 1/2 ounces.....for backpacking. That would be a nice one to fire. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If that doesn't mean much then consider your average "Dirty Harry" type 44 Magnum fires a round with a muzzle energy of around 900ft/lbs while the 500 S&amp;W has a muzzle energy of 2600ft/lbs !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Crap!

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

That's not a pistol. Its an artillery piece.
    Sure gives a whole new meaning to the term "Hand Cannon" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hmm...... I wonder if they come with a swivel mount ? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, I knew that was coming out about 4 months ago. It is/was still in R&amp;D from what I understand though. I have been told form a Smith &amp; Wesson sales rep that (as of about 3 months ago hadn't seen a completed gun, only the cylinder) that it is supposed to use a round similar in size (length) to the .45-70 or .450 Marlin. Aparently S&amp;W is trying to be the big boys on the block again. This comes on the heals of Magnum Research's release of the "Biggest Finest Revolver" aka BFR in .450 Marlin awhile back. (I personally thinkg it stand for Big Fawkin Revolver though)

As for Z3PR and his Desert Eagle. If you have seen the round for the .50AE DE, add about 3/4" to the length of the case and that is supposed to be what the .500 S&amp;W is like. (from what I was told) I personally don't like the DE much, as they are very unwildy, and bulky. I have shot one in .50AE though, and it was REALLY fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This .500 will make a .50AE look like a pop gun. It should have around 600-1000 more lbft energy at the muzzle then the .50AE. I would like to shoot one just to say I did it, but I can't imagine owning one or shooting one on a consistent basis unless I were a real big pain junky.

Also, the new .500 S&amp;W had to have a totally differnt frame built for it to handle the pressure. It is the new "X" frame revolver. S&amp;W used to have the "N" frame as its biggest, but it was not big enough for the new beefy round. The .500 is supposed to use an N frame grip size, but the rest is supposed to be alot bigger.

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

No thx, I like my wrists and elbows intact and undamaged right where they are.

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

S&amp;W has a great picture on thier web site that compares a few different types of rounds:

[​IMG]

I wonder what it looks like when the business end is pointed at you? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I like the USP 45
    [​IMG]

One of my next few pistols are going to be the USP 45 compact or the Colt Defender 45 compact!
    50? Why? J/K /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

14. Hossbaby50

Dude, don't waste your time with a Colt. They suck a nut. You pay for a gun that needs alot more money to run right. You are much better off buying the Kimber Ultra carry or the Springfield Microcompact, or there version of the ultra carry (same size as defender, but it works).

H&amp;K's are cool, but the Compact .45 is the one to have. The fullsize is just to damn big. I have a big hand and it is still to big.

15. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

My bro in law has a thompson contender chambered in 30/30. That one's recoil actually hurts your wrist. Anyone ever see an action express chambered in 50 cal?

16. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

any body ever shot a thunder five that was chamberd for 45-70 i did and i never ever will shoot a handgun that big again ive got a single action 44mag that fawking hurts plus if i put more than about 2oo rounds through my 357 in one sitting i cant masterbate with that hand for atleast 2 days

17. Hossbaby50

Are you talking a contender barrel in 50AE? I can't say as I have seen one, but I am sure you could get someone to make you one. I know a guy who had a contender in 45-70 gov't. He said that thing was a beast.

If not in a barrel, Magnum Research makes the 50AE in the Desert Eagle line. They are too expensive, and to bulky for anything practical, but they are REALLY fun to shoot. I shot one during Thanksgiving and it was a blast.

18. Hossbaby50

Oh ya, Freedom Arms also makes it in a single action revolver.