Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 6.2/6.5 heads

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86dieselburb, Apr 28, 2005.

1. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

After looking at the thread about where to find new 6.2 heads I figured I'd pose this question. There appears to be some new heads floating around. Apparently they are new castings, most likely from overseas. Think these would be any good?

I was talking to a guy that owns a machine shop and he says he knows somebody that is importing new heads for the 6.2 and 6.5 motor. I didnt really get in to it about where they were coming from, but apparently they are new non OE castings. He quoted me $335 a piece. I checked out E-bay and that seems to be the going price. His deal sounds better since you dont have to fork over $55 for shipping like on E-bay.

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

A Diesel Page member recently purchased a set of new heads. I believe they were made by Alabama Casting company, or something to that effect. He didn't like them. They were brand new, but so rough, he had to have them machined again in order to get them flat and smooth. He said he wouldn't purchase another set. In fact, one of the heads had a defect that caused coolant to pour into the cylinders. Luckily, he caught it before starting the engine, and the company replaced the head.

The Diesel Depot also advises againts buying the "new" Alabama heads. I'm not sure if these are the same as on ebay, but probably are. If not, the quality is probably low as well.

Casey

3. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anybody tried these "new" heads. I guess it would have been too much to ask that the manufacturer correct the inherent problems of the original GM heads.

I'm putting together a 6.5 turbo, i'll go with my original idea and have the heads off my 6.2 rebuilt then.