Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 6.4 Powerstroke Flame Throwers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandracer799, Mar 25, 2007.

1. sandracer799

sandracer799 1/2 ton status

2. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

For some odd reason, I found that to be amazingly cool. I wish I could make my truck shoot flames!

3. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

yeah x2

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

With all the rap, I was expecting chunks.
    After getting the controls fixed, send it to the paint shop.:haha:

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

that sucks sounds worse this my old 6.2 did when I was down to damn near no oil pressure

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

been doing reflashses left and right for it. We kept saying when those things were coming out "wow if that system ever malfunctioned the car next to you would NOT be happy", sure enough...

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

check hotflames exhaust .com

Couldn't get it to link

8. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i expected to just see billowing flames. Those were coming out so even, like a jet engine, or torch. I thought I got some crazy looks drinving around with open headers! Man, imagine that in rush hour!!!

9. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Second new power stroke in a row to have issues. The 6.0 had something like 74 TSBs the first year as opposed to 8 for the Cummins and 15 or so for the D-max

10. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just wait til you see the duramax xhaust it looks goofy but it has some new resinator that if removed itll do the same thing well at leat thats what the saleaman was sayin

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it is not a resonator, it is a Diesel Particulate Filter(DPF). It builds up with soot if it isn't cleaned out. Thats where the flames come from. IT is called "Regen mode". The PCM dumps extra fuel that is literally burned up in the exhaust to clean the regen cat out. It is only supposed to work at like 65mph and a certain RPM, but then you can see what happens when it malfunctions.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

another fine quality product from the blue oval boys.:doah: :doah: :doah:

3 major auto makers in usa ( STOP BEING IN SUCH A BIG HURRY FOR THE GOD DAM CASH ) and ship it when its realy ready.:doah: :dunno: :screwy:

and last this is the exact reason i would buy the shrunken big rig motor offered in a dodge. to many years put in to fixing any real problems thay have had. so thay just work. :bow: :haha: :D

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: So when the system is working properly, at ~65mph, it will look like the 6.4 is grenading?:haha:

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ford claimed they put 100 some thousand miles on a fleet of 6.4L equipped trucks. I find it hilarious that they didn't have the problems with the thermostats sticking, or the regen malfunction that we have already seen.

No when the system is functioning properly there is no flames out the tailpipes, just a TON of heat. I beleive the temperature is 1500+. It can be manually be activated with a scan tool. All the Ford training centers around us no longer have exhaust hoses thanks to it, hahaha. Burned the things right off the tailpipe. It is also the reason they say you can't put tips on the new exhaust. They would interfere with the heat dissipation.

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Interesting point. When the OEM test, its working stiffs "on the job". They don't test them for "Awe s***, I know this yanking my buddy's truck from a stuck, is really taking a chance" or "OKay, seee yew Mundaee morningng" "War dI park mI truck??" "S***, dI loose my kees?" :doah::haha:

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

From what I've heard they gave the trucks to a fleet company and let them drive them.

I still don't think it was tested thoroughly enough.

17. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's not really Ford's fault, you can thank the EPA and such.

All three brands, including other manufacturers like Mercedees, CAT, Cummins, Detroit, Volvo, and about anyone else making a diesel motor, are having to deal with these new emmissions regulations and everyone is having a hard time with them.

The new 6.7 Cummins, new version Dmax, and obviously the 6.4 International are using a DPF.

The only guys I can think of that are not using a DPF is CAT, they have something they call a flame thrower. It involves a spark plug in the exhaust system and somehow injecting more fuel in such a way that it builds a ton of heat.

It's all pretty messed up IMHO, the days of buying these $45K rigs right off the lot and getting 700HP out of them before they even loose the dealer plates could be basically done now. Only time will tell, for now, I'm keeping my nearly emmissions free 2001 Ram Cummins in my driveway.

18. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

that why all the new big rigs cant run on the regular old fuel either?

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes. The new fuel produces less soot out the exhaust. If you run the old fuel, it will block up the DPF, and the regen won't be able to clear it out. We expect to see a lot of guys in the near future with clogged up DPFs due to using the old fuel. Problem is, in the dealership we have no way of testing and saying, "yep that is high sulfur fuel there!" So it will probably be warranty covered.

Alos, eventually the DPFs have to be replaced. Ford claims in normal conditions I think the life is expected to be a little over 100k. Can't remember what the DPF costs, but its outrageous if my memory serves me, something over $1000.

20. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

That fancy new exhaust tip on the duramax trucks is actually a venturi. It pulls fresh air into the hot exhaust stream , cooling it before it passes out of the tip. All of the light duty diesels are going to have these type of systems, there is really no other way (besides urea injection) to meet the newer emission standards. To clean the trap, there is typically an additional fuel injector after the turbo that doses extra fuel to superheat the trap and burn off the accumulations. There are pressure transducers before and after the trap to measure backpressure, and that, coupled with some ECM logic control when its required. Anyhow, thats the "basic" system architecture.