Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New 6" lift, bunch of problems. help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JJ85K5, Sep 5, 2002.

1. JJ85K5

JJ85K5 Registered Member

New 6\" lift, bunch of problems. help!

help me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I've been searching for the last two hours for answers but have come up short.

i just put the following on my k5:
    -6" BDS front and rear springs
    -BDS shocks front and rear
    -4" raised steering arm
    -2" drop pitman arm
    -ORD HD shackles
    -swaybar correction/disconnect
    -greasable bushings at every location
    -steal braided break lines all the way around
    -t-case drop kit
    -the shims and hardware that came with the BDS kit, front and rear
    -new, longer drive shaft in rear

now for the problems:
    -still have vibrations
    -sags 1.5 inches in the rear on the right side
    -steering is waaaay bad. it launches to the right really bad when i hit any kind of bump. i mean i can't even go on the freeway, i'll hit the person to the right of me. it just launches to the right, not left, then goes straight ahead again. i can't really even drive it.

i still have 31 inch tires on the thing. i checked all the hardware to make sure they are tight. and the alignment seems to be okay, drives straight and turns both ways just fine. it road perfect before the lift. no steering problems, no vibs.

where do i start?

thanks sooooooo much in advance.
    jj

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Re: New 6\" lift, bunch of problems. help!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    still have vibrations

[/ QUOTE ]
    Check your u-joints, tires balnaced?, tires aired up to the right (same pressure)

-sags 1.5 inches in the rear on the right side

[/ QUOTE ]
    did you get blocks? if so it is probably in the springs them selves. you just didn't notice cause why would you check those things when it's stock /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif do you have a spare tire on the side that it is sagging---could be the extra weight, I have even heard that the spring perches could be messed up/broke, etc (check those)---or even the axle could be bent i have only heard of these happening but havn't first hand seen it.

steering is waaaay bad. it launches to the right really bad when i hit any kind of bump. i mean i can't even go on the freeway, i'll hit the person to the right of me. it just launches to the right, not left, then goes straight ahead again. i can't really even drive it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is "bump steer"---i have a feeling that w/ both the drop pitman arm and raised steering arm that the draglink is at a bad angle---to my understanding the draglink in stock form should be slightly tilted down--the way it probably is right now is straight mabye even pointed up.--i had this setup on mine and was a trip to drive---i dindn't like it either----also check all your "ends" ie. draglink ends, tierod ends, anything that needs grease--check them---

hope this helps, im shure others will chime in

3. 73 Heavyd

73 Heavyd Registered Member

Don't know if it will help, but I run a 6 " skyjacker with only the 4" steering arm and never had any bump steer. Maybe you overcorrected too much.

As far as the vibration, verify your pinion is not pointed up too much. With the t-case drop, the shims, it might be too much. Also, make sure that a driveline balancing weight did not get knocked off and that the u joints are perfectly inline and didn't get off by a spline or two. BTW what tranny are you running, did the front hook up ok, or was it at the end of your drop. Check the front ujoints for alignment. If you still come up with nothing, pull the rear (not on slip yoke) driveshaft (or front) and drag it around by one axle to see if the vibration still exists. You can isolate one or the other driveshafts this way. While they are off, maybe you could have the shop that made it recheck the balance.

As far as the sag, verify by measuring from top of spring and frame, and if all other attach points are accurate, then take the spring back to where you bought it. You didn't happen to lie them next to each other before install, did you? A buddy once bought a kit and one leaf was an inch different, the shop checked out his frame to verify it was good, and then they installed the replacement for him. Thought that was pretty good of the shop. Anyhow, just a couple areas to check.

4. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I purchased a 6" BDS spring lift for the front, add-a-leaf/blocks in rear. I installed a 4" raised steering arm, but not a 2" drop pitman arm. I don't think BDS recommended doing both the steering and pitman arms, they only recommend the steering arm, as near as I can recall. I have had no vibration or steering issues with this set up. As was mentioned, check all tie rod and drag link ends, and the condition of the frame at the steering box. Since you've installed that amount of lift, it would be a good idea to install a steering box brace anyway. Check wheel bearing end play, I recently noticed some wandering on my truck, and the passenger side wheel could be moved in and out a quarter inch! Just check one thing at a time, till ya narrow it down, good luck.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

1 in drop on one side
    This may be a little on the iffy side but did you tighten the spring bolts so tight they will not spring back on the one side? Sorry got to ask I have seen this dun
    /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

6. JJ85K5

JJ85K5 Registered Member

it's weird. i checked all the bolt's, the frame and the shackles. everything looks good. i will check to see how tight the bolts are once more. thanks for the info.

7. JJ85K5

JJ85K5 Registered Member

thanks to all of you for your help.

last night i took of the drop pitman arm and it made a BIG difference. it helped things out a lot. can't figure out about the vibration thing yet. i'm going to look at the pinion angle. as far as the sag, it looks like it's the spring. thanks again for all the advise.